Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
regarding the TB case at Hilo High
Aloha, everybody. When I was in high school in South Texas in the late 60's, we were regularly tested for TB. We were told this was because of proximity to Mexico and local endemic poverty resulting in people living in very crowded conditions. My cousins in other parts of the state were not tested unless there was an active case around.

My senior year we had dozens of kids turn up with positive skin tests and clear chest x-rays. The folks from the Health Department in Austin came down and did a thorough investigation. They eventually discovered that one of the janitors had been stealing food from the cafeteria at night and coughed on the jello and pudding that had been left to set for the following day's desert, among other things.

Most of the kids who tested positive did not have active cases, having successfully fought off infection. But several had infections in places other than the lungs and had to undergo lengthy treatment. Some had bone abscesses. This was before resistant strains became an issue, so the treatment process would probably be even more rigorous now.

I have been a strong proponent of testing ever since, but I know there some folks who object for religious or philosophical reasons.

Edited by - JerryCarr on 10/08/2006 10:46:16
I can certainly see cause for some discussion when it's someone's bonafide religious belief, but it seems quite evident to me that this case is more related to Mr. Horowitz's monetary belief - and is milking it for all the profit he can.
JMHO

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Due to religious beliefs, parents may sign a waiver form exempting for all immunizations for entry to school.

-Cat