Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shipping my cat
We are moving to the area early May and I am researching how to ship my cat, costs, etc. I see that all animals may be subject to a 120 day quarantine, which can be very costly. Can anyone share your experience on sending cats to the Island and any ideas on how to cut costs? Thanks.
You will find that there is a way to have the quarantine at home on the mainland, but you would have had to begin months ago. Some who find out this info late either board their animal at a state approved quarantine facility here (Bar King is one that I know of), or have their animal complete the quarantine on the mainland & ship them later (BTW - some airlines do not ship animals during the summer months, just one more thing to think about.
The Hawaii Animal Quarantine site is:
http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info
There was a long Punaweb thread about shipping animals a few months back. Use the search function to find it - lots of good info and feedback.
please go to the state website and follow carefully. this can be done in your own home, but as said by carey it takes 120 days. everyday that you do it counts toward your "quarantine" first you take your cat in for bloodwork and it is sent to a lab in kansas city. at that point, the clock starts, IF your cat has the antibodies for rabies. the cat must have had 2 rabie shots in the past and you must have documentation. i successfully have done 9 cats over the years. one cat was left up to my hubby who didnt think he had to follow the rules, the cat was taken in honolulu and had to stay the entire time at BARKING Dog in Pahoa and the cost was around 2300$$ they were wonderful, the cat was fine, but not hubbys wallet. (this does not include airfaire, crating, etc.) you can also call them, very nice people who will walk you through the process. i think you can also go to konaweb and there is a link on their front page.
Thanks guys.
By starting the process immediately, you are avoiding the possibility of quarantine. Your cat/dog can run wild in the woods with the rabid squirrels, skunks and raccoons all day long until the day before your move, and still qualify for direct release at the airport - meaning no quarantine. Actual quarantine is very expensive and is easily avoided if you closely follow the Department of Agriculture rules.
mdd7000 has great advice. Start today, call your vet, order the second rabies shot, and have the ID chip implanted (if that is stillo a requirement.) It might be oossible to leave your cat there for a couple of weeks with family or ffiends until the proper time has passed, then ship them over here.

I understand some quarantines are as short as 5 days, instead of 30 or 120 if all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed.

Good luck.

Oh, saw a cute house for rent on the Castle Inn Website,

http://www.castleinhawaii.com/

Loren

Loren Baker
baker4puna.com
Loren Baker
baker4puna.com
If I were you I would check out the state site for bringing pets into the state. That said I would have a friend or family member and my vet well versed on the vast requirements and into taking care of this for you as it is a 6 month process and is best handled from the mainland side for the comfort of your animals.

After the updated shots, the blood test from Kansas State University, and then comes the 120 day quarantine well 6 months is a good estimate. Your family could ship you the pet when all is done.

Just a suggestion. Or your pet could do the 120 day quarantine at a kennel like barkingkennels, or other state approved facilities.

mella l

NO, really? Assume the best!
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA