Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No X-Ray Machines in Pahoa
I recently had the need for an x-ray and was shocked to find out that none of the medical clinics in Pahoa have an x-ray machine! I had to go to Keaau to the Urgent Care Clinic. Although they have a machine, it is very small and can only do hands, feet, etc. as it has about a 6 inch diameter. If you need anything larger than that, you have to go to Hilo. (I just needed a hand x-ray)

Anyone know about grants, etc. that might be able to get an x-ray machine for at least one of the Pahoa clinics? I would be happy to help out/volunteer in any way that I can.
That may not be practical , if you don’t have the facilities to fix whatever is broke it’s a big expense for not much gain
Used, small machines like the one at the Urgent Care Clinic cost anywhere from $4000-$7000. Not a whole lot. Coming from a place where every doctor's office has one, this seemed strange.
No special construction is needed. Only the really large ones require special construction.
You also need a xray tech and radiologist.

The equipment is only part of the cost.
You don't need a tech or radiologist to run an x-ray on a possible broken hand/foot, etc. At Keaau Urgent Care, the doctor positioned my hand and "read" the x-ray. It wasn't rocket science. I could see the obvious break in the bone without help. Basic diagnosis would be improved - why waste a trip to Keaau or Hilo if you don't need to?
Actually we're lucky even Hilo has x-ray and cat-scan machines. Some scans (for example PET-SCANS for people with cancer) still require you to travel to Honolulu.
quote:
Originally posted by mdd7000

You don't need a tech or radiologist to run an x-ray on a possible broken hand/foot, etc. At Keaau Urgent Care, the doctor positioned my hand and "read" the x-ray. It wasn't rocket science. I could see the obvious break in the bone without help. Basic diagnosis would be improved - why waste a trip to Keaau or Hilo if you don't need to?

While I agree that a trip to Keaau or Hilo is a pain in the okole, you do need to be a xray tech certified through ARRT to take an xray legally. And while you may be able to look at an xray yourself, I dont know if I could especially if it was a more complicated issue.

"Hawaii requires that anyone taking x-rays be certified through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT), which requires graduation from a 2-year school of radiologic technology. Hawaii does not recognize limited licensure x-ray technologists".

(My mom was an radiological tech for 48 years and just a few years ago did not renew her license in Hawaii.)

But I do agree probably dont need a radiologist necessarily. Most MD's can read films. It's possible too that the insurance policies the clinic has dont cover it.
Zoning was the reason given to me - seemed plausible for

not allowing full powered xray machines in residential areas

Ive done some contracting in hospitals

major steel and shielding required in xray areas by code in those projects
to mdd7000:

The Puna Community Medical Center, a grass-roots clinic located in the Pahoa Marketplace, has a long-range vision to build a full service community medical center in the Pahoa area. Due to the exceedingly high cost of medical equipment, insurance, certifications and permits, supplies, professional personnel, etc. we have to develop in phases. We have been prioritizing these phases based on community need. It has taken more than a year for our walk-in acute care clinic to to start seeing our way clear to planning for our next phase, which will be either a Radiology Clinic or a full-service Dental Clinic. We have a volunteer group that helps to raise funds by putting on benefit events and doing outreach. We also need help with grantwriting. If you are interested in helping us reach this goal, please email Janice at friends@punahealth.org.

Mahalo and I hope that you will choose to join our efforts.

Rene Siracusa, V-P
Board of PCMC