Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adults Displaying Childlike Behavior On-line.
pog - don't think I've heard that or if I did just tuned it out. I'll listen out for it though now that I know! I've never really taken much interest in local elections simply because I couldn't vote, I'm not a US citizen, but I'm fully qualified to become one now. I won't be a citizen in time to vote this time round but am certainly taking a lot more interest in the process this time!

Tom

I bet you guys would murder each other playing Monopoly.

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
When my ex wouldn't get his way, or be able to convince me to take on his opinion, he would become exponentially more forceful with every....um......recusal refusal; his voice would get a little louder and higher pitched, his hands would flail out from his sides, he would lean a little more forward and his shoulders would stoop, his abs would get tight, his eyes would focus intensely on me just before jolting around etc.

He won the arguement......but......
I live in Eden Roc and when I moved here we didn't have but a few street signs. The board said they put them up, but people stole them. Turns out they had put them up some 20 years ago. I had police, ambulance, general people and Jehovah's witnesses coming to my house to ask if I knew where so-and-so lives.

I was just about to file the grant form for that community program, i forget the name, when all hell broke loose at the meetings. So we made a big arse cmu covered with slate corner post and painted the street names on it. Little more than 6 months later, the board had some guys out installing street signs. We have them all now!!Yeah!

The officers that came out said they found that properties without posted addresses (or even names) were sketchy. Do they really not want an ambulance to not find them? I don't think so. We named our house and painted tiles and installed them on our driveway gates:
"Ku'ule Cottage". I want Eden Roc to be like 'Scottsdale'.

The paths are the dead give-away and that guy who didn't quite get that ounce he paid for one too many times.
I'm with Kathy this time. I shorten everybody's name to suit my pleasure. Usually grab the front bit. So yeah, a Wao for one would be a Wao for the other, and if you guys think it's some subterranean subterfuge to secretly include the both of you in my rant, well, whatever. Who cares? Kathy knows what she meant. I know what I mean. Tom knows what he means, mdd knows... Well, you get the idea. (Notice my shortening of everyone's name, as I please, willy nilly, without even asking how y'all would prefer I do it.) I also think y'all are ganging up on ol' Kath. I've locked horns with her before, so don't go thinking I just naturally side with her (I don't) but I think a lot of what Wao (girl) has to say on the subject of what everyone means when they write what they say without thinking what they think before singing about what the other guy called them that didn't seem too nice (I mean, really, was this thread ever actually about anything?) is all about strenuously pointing out to us all just how different her opinions are from her partner (Wao boy) but she always gives him a wide latitude with regard to those different opinions while taking to task everybody else on this thread who stands even remotely opposed to him. So wise up everybody, and agree with Wao boy in toto, or else face the wrath of Wao girl, (who does not necessarily agree with him, and has her own opinions, thank you)... seriously, it's like tag team wrestling. The rest of us don't stand a chance...
During the 3+ years we were looking for a house here, I think we drove virtually every road of every "subdivision" in Puna at least once, as well as living in 5 widely scattered ones. What I noticed about street signs and numbers, while trying to find whatever house we wanted to look at, was that the areas with private road systems that weren't backed up with a solid funding and maintenance mechanism tended to not have road signs. The ones with a road crew that maintained the roads had better signage.

In general we discovered that rentals often don't have numbers, and houses where people had lived for decades, not years, also didn't have numbers, while newer houses that were owner occupied, or ones that had just been built had numbers. The old timers didn't need numbers back when they were the only driveway on the road, and renters just don't do stuff like go to home depot and get numbers for their gate.

A few years ago the county was talking about making street numbers mandatory, they dropped the idea when it was discovered that many county buildings and offices didn't have numbers either.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by csgray...

In general we discovered that rentals often don't have numbers, and houses where people had lived for decades, not years, also didn't have numbers, while newer houses that were owner occupied, or ones that had just been built had numbers. The old timers didn't need numbers back when they were the only driveway on the road, and renters just don't do stuff like go to home depot and get numbers for their gate...

I still have a hard time with Hwy 132, and Hwy 137 in giving directions to our house and still say Red Road and "4-corners" and then have to be more new timer in the direction giving. Its my high RC (resistance to change) factor in the new #'ing system for the roads.

The day that no one says anymore "you know where ken's [house of pancakes] stay? Turn right (or left) there..." will be a sad day.