Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How's your weather...
Had over an inch of rain last few hours but more interestingly we've had quite the thunder and lightning. WOW this last one was like a gigantic flash bulb (remember those?) going off.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
David.... What's a flash bulb??? Not a whole lot of rain down on Maku'u. Seen one flash but it's been pretty quiet.

Royall

Quiet in HPP. No rain or thunder
It was striking within a mile of us. Big Flash and then less than one second later Ka-BOOM! Only stuck around the area for about half an hour, but there were a lot of strikes during that time. We are a bit further up the coast from David.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
quote:
Originally posted by Royall

David.... What's a flash bulb??? Not a whole lot of rain down on Maku'u. Seen one flash but it's been pretty quiet.

Royall

Because you asked.... from Wikipedia

The earliest flashes had of a quantity of thermite flash powder that was ignited by hand. Later, magnesium filaments were contained in flash bulbs, and electrically ignited by a contact in the camera shutter; such a bulb could only be used once, and was too hot to handle immediately after use, but the confinement of what would otherwise have amounted to a small explosion was an important advance. An innovation was coating flashbulbs with a blue plastic coating to match the spectral quality to daylight balanced colour film and to make it look more moderate, as well as providing shielding for the bulb in the unlikely event of it shattering during the flash. Later bulbs substituted zirconium for the magnesium, which produced a brighter flash and tended to temporarily blind people.
Flashbulbs took longer to reach full brightness and burned for longer than electronic flashes. Slower shutter speeds (typically from 1/10 to 1/50 of a second) were used on cameras to ensure proper synchronization. A widely used flashbulb through the 1960s was the number 25. This is the large (approximately 1 inch (25 mm) in diameter) flashbulb often shown used by newspapermen in period movies, usually attached to a press camera or a twin-lens reflex camera.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
LOL!!! ;^)

Royall

I heard a Civil Defense broadcast while at the store warning that Saddle Road was closed and 190 between Waimea Airport and Waikoloa Rd -- due to flash flooding and debris.
It was pouring on Hwy 130 last night and in Pahoa and then slowed down as you came downhill to Kapoho. Kapoho was pretty dry rain-wise but the air was about 90% humidity and warm. Saw a little lighting for a few minutes but not close.

showers in the afternoon - a little heavier overnight up here in the acres

had a few lightning bolts - nothing very close though

My mainland cabin may not be doing as well - I hear laguna beach ca has flooded badly by the streams above the city. The cabin up in the headlands above laguna..... (we hope we are still there and not sliding "downtown" as we type)
Not much in Hilo Town ... Saw the lightning but did not hear any rumbling ...

Humid as heck though ... *Had* ( no choice ) to paint something this morning ... Not kicking in and the paint is running even though sprayed super SUPER light ..

aloha,
pog