Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The South Kulani Wall
Just read the history behind the wall built back in 1937. Makes a river go though Hawaiian Acres.

Still there? Any indications of it changing, letting the water go "the other way?"

Map of flooding:

http://www.hawaiianacres.org/images/floodmap.gif

Basically, if one were to own a lot that floods because of the wall, does anyone think you could hope in the future to NOT have it flood?
Changing the watercourse back would probably be a big legal mess, since houses have been built in or near the old trace.
the wall was built before hawaiian acres became the subdivision it is today. this would be on any legal disclosure statement unless someone does a fsbo sale. but it is well known i think it was 2000 when s. kulani road was pretty much underwater. i do see some new development going in right in the flood zone, but some people always think it wont happen to them...as for it changing, i dont think that will happen , there are other flood zones in populated areas that would probably take federal funds if there were any to go around.... so build high, stay out of flood zones, this one isnt one to mess with if you saw the last flood. but we love hawaiian acres just go further in....
Here's a survey question for Punawebbers:

I assume everyone knows who Pele is, does anyone here not know who Kane (no relation to Trevor) is?

Pele visited Hawaiian Acres more or less 750 years ago, Kane, Hi'iaka, and others I don't know have been at work ever since. Some men built that wall nearly 75 years ago, and I'm sure Kane has adapted to the change in water flow by now. To remove the wall would likely make things worse all around (wet where it was dry, dry where it was wet), at least for the rest of my lifetime.

If you live in a flood zone, build on stilts. If you care about your floor getting wet, build a couple of feet higher than anyone thinks the water will ever go. It's a pain for "development," but periodic floods tend to keep the land "cleaner" of man's development, and more beautiful, in my opinion. The price you pay for that beauty is not being able to leave junk on the ground without risking it going underwater. And mosquitoes, I can't find much good to say about mosquitoes.

Edited to add Hi'iaka.