Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urgent - need mac nuts
I need 5 lbs of mac nuts to take back to the mainland. In all of my many trips here I have never bought mac nuts or coffee to take back because they are the same price, if not cheaper, on the mainland. However, one of my husband's clients is a famous 2x James Beard nominee chef. He ask that we bring these back for him. Nope, not using anything from "the store". Need them from a local farm. Chef is big into supporting small farms so I am not trying to fool him with a bag of nuts (that likely were not even grown here) from the grocery store slid into a paper sack! SmileSmile Don't know why I waited until 2 days before leaving to think about this. Anybody have any suggestions? being the foodie that I am, I am determined to see these mac nuts show up on a menu special!

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
I would put an ad on Craig's list (farm and garden) it's free, so it can't hurt.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Good friends of mine operate mac-nuts.com on Pohoiki Road just down from Leilani. Check their web page and give them a call. They don't do cracking any more but sell 'in shell' nuts and they may have some left. They are some of the best tasting that I have tried. It's just short of the start of the season so most of the best sources are running out of nuts about now. The nuts need to be picked up soon after falling or bugs start getting to them and trying to store them for very long also has it's problems.

Jay
Jay
I thought you weren't leaving.
Shelled or unshelled? Will they pass the ag inspection at the airport?
The Mauna Loa factory shop has their 'Orchard Select' (I think that is the name...) that is only available on site....

Their selection is only halved nuts, as the harvest has been way down the last 2 years ( may be a problem with other farms, too...)

Also, the Hilo farmers market always has local orchard bagged product)
Thanks for the ideas everyone! Kalena, I am just putting this post up so you think I am leaving. I figure this throws you off the trail of the fact that I plan to squat in the garage.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa