Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ukulele Strings
When I went to Molokai last March, the locals put something in my coffee and the next thing I knew I was singing "Living in a Sovereign Land" and buying a ukulele. My ukulele is great and I've enjoyed learning to play it. I started listening to Izzy and detected that his ukulele sounded different than mine. Researched it a little and it was because he used a LOW G string. So, I changed my strings. The LOW G string sounds great and adds that bit of authenticity that was lacking, but the strings are very low quality. They go out of tune as I go up the fret, or do a bar chord.

Does anyone in Puna have an idea of what strings I should put on my uke to restore the quality sound it once had (while keeping the LOW G). I am anticipating THOUSANDS of responses and so am suggesting that we have a special forum just for ukuleles.

Now you got me dreaming of sitting on the veranda playing my ukulele, to the sweet melody of coquis… ;-)

Edited by - adias on 01/19/2007 01:46:57
Ah, the coquis --how I long to be there sooner to begin the slaughter. I will have my caffeine in the morning, and I will save some for them in the evening.

Coguis slaughter....hehehehe Our you sure its not the tuners coming lose? I have a cheap ukulele that does the same thing and is totally worthless other then home decore. This looks to be a good store for uku supplies. Andy

http://www.hawaiimusicsupply.com/

Glen, can we see you featured on http://www.ukuleledisco.com/clips yet?

Aloha
Richwhiteboy

"Critics can't even make music by rubbing their back legs together."--Mel Brooks
“Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good.”
- Henry Rollins

If you don't have a baritone/bass uke, the low G string is not what your uke was designed for. Soprano ukes are supposed to use the high G string. Sorry, I can't tell you what brand is best.

The tuning range is even different between a baritone and a soprano uke. You can use the same guitar chord fingering and chords on a baritone uke. The soprano is something like a fifth higher than a guitar, and uses different chord fingerings.

Edited by - Les C on 01/20/2007 10:10:29