Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
continental to Hilo
I have had a chance to use continental for a couple of flights so far this month -

impressions:

full flights, brandy new airplanes and a level of professionalism that impressed this traveler, reminds one of the Bob Six days.

best of all 5 hrs and 10 minutes LAX to ITO travel time yesterday. Judging from the load factors service and aircraft (mood lighting like the a320's & power ports for laptops!) this may be a winner for all involved.

Id pass on the the inflight direct tv as it is only "direct" for the first 200 miles or so due to the satellite footprint, then goes to recorded fare

edit sp.

That's good to hear. Now if they can keep their fares low enough for the average Big Island resident to purchase tickets....We will indeed be fortunate! The Hilo side of the Big Island is not a big tourist destination and after the popularity of the new airline into Hilo has worn off... the only people that will make or break this route are its residents!
500 -550 rt seemed a fair fare to me - grin.... there were lots of tourists on all the flights i was on - some connecting to hnl through ito ... many more starting their vacation in Hilo and the BI rather than HNL .... that's the big win imho

Yes the state and county need to support this expansion. they could start with airport shuttles. we are really weak on land based airport support. The bus system needs to feed the airport, Id move a centralized bus terminal to ito and at least a shuttle to Volcano. The Lodges up there a big destination for the travelers on my flights. yup i interviewed all I could)

Friends from LA are joining us on the BI in October. I did a fare alert for them on Trip Advisor and emailed them when the Oct. fares dropped to $374 RT. Hubby and I are also doing the Houston - LA - Hilo flight. It will be great not to go via HNL.
I hope they can keep the flights full. Can't wait.
We've family visiting both July and October - all taking advantage of the new direct to Hilo flights. All flying from east coast, so avoiding the HNL stop is a biggie.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident