Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japanese Dodder
Has anyone noticed the stringy spaghetti like vines covering our trees in HPP? I think it is called Japanese Dodder. I read that it is highly spreadable and can kill your trees and that you shouldn't try to eradicate it yourself so as not to contaminate other areas. If anyone knows what to do or has any advise it would be greatly appreciated. It is on the Federal Government Noxious Weed List in California. The Dodder especially likes hosts such as fruit and ornamental trees. I have also noticed some covering trees in South Kona. Thanks.
Interesting. I didn't know they were on the noxious weed list. I guess its not much of a problem YET otherwise I'd have read articles about it. I've worked on miconia, faya, guava, "opala" trees, blackberry, banana poka and German Ivy (saddle road) and whatever Malama O Puna wants dead, but no one's complained about that yellow stuff yet.
I am surprised that no one has complained yet. I imagine it is because it is still in the early stages of intrusion. I only hope that it doesn't become to late to do something about it like the coqui frog.
A botanist pal of mine and I were just talking about these two plants last week.

There is also an endemic relative that grows by the coast and looks a lot the same. It's a parasitic plant, like mistletoe, that lives off of other plant hosts. The Hawaiian native one is called Kauna'oa or Cuscuta sandwichiana. My friend was saying that it's hard to tell them apart but for where they grow and that the native one is more orange yellow than greenish yellow.

http://www.hear.org/starr/images/image/?q=010206-0241&o=plants

The native Kauna'oa is used for lei and does not spread so rampantly as the other, although in the patches where it grows it does cover up a few trees pretty well.

Introduced Japanese or "Western Field" Dodder is a close relative, C. campestris, and is usually found at higher elevations, especially in pastures.

http://www.hear.org/starr/images/image/?q=090409-5754&o=plants

Down in HPP there's a good chance it could be the native one.
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
This stuff is all along the HPP Kaloli road. See it especially in the middle and lower area of the road going east. If you have not seen this huge infestation, it is worth the look.
Have a friend on 9th who has been struggling with this for ever.
He is trying to do the right thing as he cleans it out. He has it stored under a pinned down tarp. He has been trying to find out where to deposit the remains of this weed.
He has no electricity at this point so no computer. And low and behold, here is punaweb talking about this vine. I just love punaweb and all the resourceful people.
Any suggestions will be passed on to him right away. He is an environmentally concious fellow and I will help him follow thru and transport this to the appropriate area.
Help anyone?
Thanks.
ToniKim,
One method of killing noxious plants and seeds is to pack it into those large black plastic yard/garbage bags and let them cook in the sun for a some months until it is totally mulched. I do that with bagged leaves and it makes a nice garden mulch.
Might work well for this plant, but it sounds like it will be a big investment of time.
Also for plants on the ground this will work if kept covered under black plastic with out water and having rocks placed around the edges to keep the heat in. The heat will cook them, it takes a few weeks though before you can remove the plastic.

The other not so enviornmental type of way is to use herbicides. Most likely if this is the rapidly spreading unfavorable type Dodder, this is what you will need to use. just remember to not hit the Ohia treees with this product because it kills trees too. Made by Ortho it will kill vines, but you may have to use it full strength. So don't buy the premix. If using herbicides is the way that you need for success, then try doing it using the least amount of product. Like painting it on several pieces of vine, but not covering the whole plant whatsoever. Or if you find a root, cutting that open and injecting some in that hole. The other is to place part of a vine into a baggie with some herbicide inside so that the vine is constantly exposed to the chemical and takes it ino its system. Apply when no rain is expected for a day. Read all uses of the chemical before you use it and be careful not to use more than needed, passing it along to someone else who needs it, (like the lot owners on Kaloli) rather than disposal of this product, because it harms the enviornment.
http://www.epinions.com/review/Ortho_Bru...9064501892
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!

Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!