Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safeway boycott
Buyer beware, really pays to look at the label, they can sell you dog crap and call it ice cream if you are stupid enough to buy it.
The problem is the fact that, other than in Hawaii, the amount of "Kona" coffee in a bag of coffee DOES NOT have to be on the label, so reading a label of "Kona blend coffee" will not tell you anything about what is in the package...

Most people do not realize that one speck (or less) of Kona grown bean in a package = 'Kona Blend" everywhere but this state!

I don't buy coffee at Safeway and I guess I'll continue to not buy. I'm not very picky about what kind of coffee I buy but I will have to support our local farmers on this one. All Safeway has to do is change the name to Safeway Select Blend. Doesn't sound very sexy but that'll get 'em off the hook with KCFA. By the way, why does the acronym KFCA appear twice in that article?
Sorry, off topic, but hey, Orchidlandguy, have you fully recovered from your injuries? Hope so.
quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

Aren't there trademark regulations and/or truth in labeling consumer laws that would cover this situation? FWIW, a lot of coffee experts think that Kona coffee is over-rated and overpriced. My experience has been like Theodore's . . . uneven. I generally don't buy it because I don't think it's a good overall value, but I do like some of the locally produced Hilo Coffee Mill products enough to pay what they cost.

Thanks Jerry. Yes there are definitely Truth in Labeling Laws but only the larger companies are really in the eye of the law. Small individual companies, coffee or anything else for that matter, are allowed to slip by.

Coffee is like anything else, we all like it a bit different. I like my coffee light to medium, black and with lots of caffeine. One thing is for sure. Everyone should like fresh coffee and coffee from America.

We appreciate your comment and will continue to try to always have the freshest, best coffee in the world.

Mahalo nui...

KP
KP
I dont like Kona coffee much - it just doesnt hold up well IMHO to a dark roast like some of the Puna and Hamakua's coffees do.

But that said - If I was Safeway, I would have a big end cap display that said 100% Kona (or Hawaii) coffees! But thats just me.