Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharp jolts in Nanawale this a.m.???
Did anyone besides me get a coupla sharp jolts this morning? There's nothing on the EQ website. The first one was between 8:30 and 9 a.m. and was the lesser one. The 2nd one, maybe an hour, hour and a half later, was stronger, at least a 4.0 if not more. Both of them rattled all the glass in my house, which is quite unusual. Thnx for any feedback.[:I]
Well, just talked to Jim K at HVO and he said there were two EQs in lower Puna, one shortly before 9 a.m. and one at 10:24. He said they were short and shallow so they weren't picked up by the larger seismographic stations. But he reassured me they were real. And we need to let HVO know when we feel those events. I'm just so surprised no one else has reported them. They heard about it from a lady in line at the bank and went back to check their readers. Sure enough, there they were. Just FYI.
Hmmmmmmm.....keep an eye out for cracks in the ground and smoke.
Jim K also said the reason my house shook so (I've been thru 100s of EQs here in my home of 32 years) was BECAUSE they were so shallow. And that's also why they didn't register on the bigger seismometers. So I'm beginning to realize shallow can be serious, altho localized. Just FYI...
We had another one today...sharp jolt and slight shimmy for about 5 seconds.

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Newman
"Vote with your money!"