Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying used shipping containers (again)
Ben Alonzo (Keaau Service) moved a friend in HA - it was a 40' high cube that they placed with 2 heavy duty forklifts.

My other friend may have a container available in the next couple weeks at a good price if any one needs one still. Email me and I'll give you her # and email.

She has to move it or sell it by Feb 1.
I'd bid but don't have a property in Hilo yet. My Resolution is this year or bust.

Also although it's possible to raise the box with jacks isn't it worth hiring the forklifts especially for fine placement?

If you have a box on the Columbia River might get better bids in Astoria. I always like to mention Astoria the title of my fav book.[Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by Erlinda

How in the world did you get the container onto the concrete blocks? I'm trying to envision this--did you have a crane? I've never worked with containers before, obviously!

Mahalo!

I thought I would answer this again with a little more detail. To get the container off the truck bed, the bed tilts and the container "slides" off. While it sounds dramatic, it is a very slow process and there is plenty of time for "fine tuning" the placement of the rear blocks. The front of the container is dropped directly onto the ground and then later lifted up with chains attached to the rear of the truck bed by controlling it's tilt. While it is suspended by chains, the concrete blocks can be slid under the front of the container. In our case, we used two blocks in the front because the pitch of the ground dropped four inches over the 40 feet.
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

I recently moved a 40' high cube steel container about 100' sideways over some ripped ground. I started off with a pair of 12 ton bottle jacks and a come-a-long. I wold jack one end up several inches then use the come-a-long to make it fall off the jacks in the direction I wanted. It was pretty much as bad as it sounds. I tried rolling floor jacks on metal channels but the twisting action of moving one end at a time broke 2 jacks. I eventually graduated to skidding the container on the flat webs of the steel channels which were supported on 2 4 x 10s which were themselves supported on strips of gravel fill to make up for the uneven ground. Essential to the success of the operation were the presence of a conveniently located ohia stump and a 1 1/2 ton chain hand winch. I now think I know how the pyramids were built and believe me it took a long time and involved a lot of slave labor.

When I got it where I wanted it I used the two jacks, one on each side, and lifted each end far enough to slide those 18" x 18" x 6" foundation blocks under each corner. I got another layer of blocks in by retracting the jacks and putting them on top of more concrete or wood blocks. You could go up indefinitely this way but the piles of blocks, being built up of many pieces, would get unstable. To properly support the container so that you could walk under it you should pour solid columns then use a forklift or crane to place the container.

We moved one a short distance (different story than my previous post) by jacking it up off the ground and sliding greased metal pipes underneath it, then removed the jacks and used a come along to make it slide along the pipes. I've heard of a similar technique using a 4wd vehicle to push or drag instead of the come along.

There's a youtube video of a guy moving a 20 footer over uneven terrain like a mile using a variety of techniques. Come alongs, winches, etc.
thanks for the tip on astoria, it was right on. I stopped at the fish bus and was instantly refered to the source that bought my 48ft semi trailer. The tow driver bought the other one after finding out how little i took for it. I still have the 20ft conex. ANY REASONABLE OFFER TAKES IT. (semi trailers in excellent condition w extras worth 4&6k let them go around $1000. & $750.) Conex is also in great shape w plugs for electricty done professionally. Need 1-3 day notice for power co. to disconnect from pole before it can be moved. Sitting on pavement NOT dirt; so clean you can try 'white glove' test inside, almost outside too!