Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rural internet help
I read somewhere that there is a known issue with some of the new Verizon 4G MiFi devices - if they switch over to 3G mode (for example, if you travel with them out of 4G coverage areas) they sometimes get stuck in 3G mode. Verizon and the manufacturer were working on a fix, and based on Pete's experience, they may have found the solution.
Yes, we do get 8-10 Mbps, but mileage varies. Yesterday I tried speedtest.net after not having checked for a while and was impressed with 10+ Mbps. Today, before replying, I tried several tests and could only climb a little over 5 Mbps. No idea what factors are limiting. Is tower traffic at 6AM so much? But we are very pleased with the relative responsiveness of the 4G LTE, much better than the typical 0.6 Mbps of 3G. But 4G will eat up the bandwidth. We went over the 5 Gb cap the first month and are likely to do so again. No movies, hardly any youtube vids, just surfing news and blog sites, but many more per session than previously.

The Verizon tech mentioned the 3G/4G flipping problem. Replacing the SIM card seems to have fixed this for us (and also apparently allowed the occasionally faster speeds). She did mention that Verizon thinks they have found the software fix for flipping and will be releasing "soon."
Forgot about the antenna question. No antenna, just the Mifi box near a window. We are about three or four miles from Verizon's Pahoa tower and get 3-4 bars showing on the Mifi display, better than the mobile. The LTE signal is a lower frequency and penetrates more easily than the higher frequency 3G.
One more YMMV update and I'm done: at 11:15AM speedtest.net showed 9.68/3.46 Mbps (d/l & u/l).