Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inter -Island travel (Things you should know)
I just got back from taking a day trip to Honolulu for some shopping. We decided not to make a confirmed reservation...because we didn't want to be pinned down to a time...and just showed up at the Hawaiian ticket counter. But I did check an hour before on line and there were still seats for $80.00 one way. When we went to the counter though and asked for two one way tickets to Honolulu...they were $150.00 each. I asked why it was so different than booking on the website and they said there is a "$35.00 walk up fee per person" "and" a $35.00 average increase in the fare when buying at the ticket counter vs on the web. So I turned on my smart phone and made the reservations and payed on line right there at the ticket counter and saved $70.00 per person and just used my phone to show my boarding pass bar code to security and airline personnel.

Moral of story...I won't ever try to do a walk up at the last minute again. (What was I thinking!) Also never travel without your smart phone!

BTW...Hawaiian and Go cut off ticket sales 30 minutes before departure
That is quite the savings! I would think last minute walk up sales would be CHEAPER since they want to fill those seats....

Some things make no sense.

Dayna
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
They're counting on most people not to be as clever as macuu222. They have us all trained to expect to pay more at the last minute, although some airlines release low-miles free tickets at the last minute to get the seats filled and some miles off their books, where they show up as a liability. Delta is famous for this. In fact, they have been accused of ONLY offering low-miles freebies at the last minute, especially on their Hawaii and international flights.
I love this story, maccuu!