Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HILO (a different experience)
Excellent article about Hilo by Gary A. Warner travel writer for the OC Register

http://www.ocregister.com/travel/-139151-ocprint--.html
Nice article. Realistic, but honestly flattering.
Very nice and straight forward article.

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

Close enough for me.
It is quite an honest article and not fluffy. I like that.
Ends rather abruptly. I was looking for the summation, but there wasn't one.

I don't think the charm of Hilo can be fully explored in its public spaces. People can get an idea of the life here by observing, and I do love the parks.

I think it is one of those place where if you settle into a B&B or rental you have a chance to experience something special about life here. I wouldn't want to have a room in one of the hotels and merely wander around the spots listed in the article. Although I do love the gardens and Moku Ola.
I think he nailed it perfectly, reading it you can see he was able to see and appreciate Hilo for what it is. [Smile][Smile][Smile]

Since this latest article about Hilo was picked up by many other media outlets, hopefully it will appeal to people curious about experiencing the real Hawaii, not the fabricated tourist fantasy!

This was an earlier piece he did on Hilo in 2007

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/tr...lo020.html
a nice read... Smile
Yep where was the ending of that Hilo tour description then like Akaka Falls then......what? I agree very week article end.

To me Hilo and Kona are ying and yang. Which is better? There's a better sense of the real Hawaii in Hilo town to me then the almost Florida beach town feeling of Kona. But I like both for different reasons. You just don't get the beautiful gardens, falls, and lush surroundings in Kona or Waikoloa. Even the prettiest spot on the west side to me probably Malakawena Beach is backed up by some of the ugliest lava flow land known to man.

The obvious tourist trade problems to Hilo is no great beaches and potential disasters that no big invester would do like....lava flows and tsunamis.

I just spent 11 days from Wailea Village to Hilo to Puna. Lots to see and lots to think about. New discoveries this time out were that the Coconut Island is a really excellent walk at sundown. The history behind the old sugar town era became really interesting to me doing a couple of walks to see the Kolekole Beach Park along the old Mamalahoa road down from the village and over to the Hakalau sugar mill ruins in the other direction. Laupahoeheo Point is a very stunningly beautiful and powerful place. Of course the coqui frog noise I could probably live without.

Looking forward to my next trip back...Aloha !!!!!
Sounds like a very special trip, TJ.
Beautiful area of the coast for those who are ready to be far from town. Very rooted community, yet the area is lightly touched by development. Yes, a few McMansions in the last few years (ugh), but mostly old Hawai'i.

I tried to find the end of the article, lol, pushed NEXT, it just seemed like I wasn't looking in the right place, since there was no "ending" -- it just stopped.

Moku Ola is my favorite sunset spot in Hilo. People fishing, walking, running, playing, and the light is so beautiful over the bay and Mauna Kea.