Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa road project stalls
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/sect...lls.html-0

Hmmm, It got stalled because of some land owners in HPP that feel they've been denied road-repair funding... Yet the news story is full of everyone wanting the project to move forward and selling their land... Uh, hello? Did they really expect everyone to be jumping at the bit to sell their land? I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened and you'd think someone would have been a bit more prepared. Wishful thinking I guess?

Or maybe this was a ploy to stall it so that Maui County will get the $16 million in federal money that was earmarked for the first phase of the Keaau-Pahoa Road project???

Tho, they cover everything up to say the money will still be there and be replenished...

The morning-commuter lane that flows traffic toward Keaau will be converted into a wider, permanent lane, according to the EA. An 8-foot-wide paved shoulder for use by bicyclists and pedestrians also will be added along that makai side.

I like the idea of bike/pedestrian use, but why not a real side walk and a bike lane??? I don't know about you, but cars flying by @ 50+MPH while walking on a shoulder doesn't sound too thrilling, tho I guess it's better then walking in the weeds...

On the mauka side, plans call for converting the 10-foot-wide shoulder into a temporary lane to be open only during afternoon-commuting hours, while also adding a paved, 2-foot-wide shoulder and relocating utility lines.

Future phases would extend similar improvements more than seven miles to the intersection with Highway 132, also known as the Pahoa-Kapoho Road, according to another EA completed in April.

That will create a four-lane highway, complete with a divided median along the entire 9.5-mile length, eight bus stops, traffic lights at five intersections and roundabouts at three others.

The document estimates the project's total price tag, in 2011 dollars, to be between $135.6 million and $138.6 million.

"Safety is a paramount concern, as the corridor includes several intersections that have among the highest crash rates in the state," according to the EA for the entire project. "The highway is extremely congested during peak traffic hours, and motorists are subjected to lengthy delays. Pedestrians, bicyclists, and transit users are poorly served by the existing facility."

Poorly planned, I hope they can do better next time and maybe offer a REAL solution for people on foot or bicycles but I don't have my hopes up. I guess just be lucky anything will happen mentality as usual. [xx(]

That article is replete with misinformation.
The project at Shower Drive with the shoulder lane conversion is where owners have resisted -- there is about 0.23 acre in the middle of the highway that belongs 'in common' to more than 5 thousand owners in HPP increment one.
Contrary to what the article says, the shoulder-lane conversion project is completely different from the one that goes all the way to Pahoa-Kapoho Road.
Highway 130 should be designated as the PMAR.

It would be more cost effective to put a new road through an area mauka of highway 130.

How many years of delays and fighting will it take to compensate the 100's of owners with driveways that intersect with 130 ??

Pick a path of least resistance through all of the subdivisions mauka of 130 and get it done.

One other plan would be to build the new road and let HPP design and build their own connections to the highway.