Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parrot lore of Puna & east side Big Island Hawaii
This discussion thread is an opportunity to share information & questions about parrots in Puna and on the east side of the Big Island in general.

Searching the keywords "parrot puna hawaii bird" in various combinations brings up links to some previous and current parrot clubs over on Oahu and in Kona, as well as a couple personal blogs from folks connected to Puna who are owned by parrots, but I am not spotting any online or face-to-face groups current and active for the east side of the Big Island. Are there any such groups here?

Please do mention if you know of any parrot-focused east side Big Island social groups, technical teams, or websites.

Back up in Alaska being a member of TABC, The Alaska Bird Club, was very useful to me. TABC's monthly meetings were fun, educational, and usually quite fattening. While the group is called "Alaska Bird Club" and does overlap with & include folks who work with non-pet birds (Alaska's raptors, oil-fouled seabirds, the annual Audubon bird count, 4H ducks & chickens, and so on) the main focus is really on pet birds -mainly parrots, cockatiels, & parakeets. TABC has a useful website ( http://www.alaskabirdclub.org/ ) and holds a big annual meeting with a guest speaker. TABC also has a Rescue & Rehoming committee and a Lost Bird Recovery team. All very useful. A great model to emulate, imho, if nothing similar exists on the east side of the Big Island and parrot folks here want to do so.

There are several discussion threads on Punaweb which contain a bunch of useful (but sometimes a bit out of date) information related to avian veterinarians, how to find and recover a lost bird, and disease issues. It would be great to pull this all together at a website and periodically review it to keep contact info and suchlike current.

I do not want to retranscribe all of the to and fro which has gone before in other Punaweb parrot discussion threads of the last few years (searching the keyword "parrot" will bring those up from the archive) yet will mention my opinion on a recent concern expressed in another thread. Regarding rat lungworm disease in Puna's pet parrots, imho this should not be anything to worry about unduly as long as food & water dishes are brought in at night (so slugs do not crawl in) and fruit is checked and washed to cleanse it of any slugs. Puna's wild parrots may come to grief from RLD, but pets should be OK as long as their feeding areas are kept clean and the fruit is watched and washed.

Alas, another local pest can be a real headache. While I was living in HPP during the long protracted period construction was occurring on our new house elsewhere in Puna I did make one pest-related error for which I am still paying dearly. The ant traps and Amdro I had spread around the HPP house did a great job with keeping little red fire ants pushed back to the property lines and out of the house, but only as long as the baits were renewed periodically. I became so absorbed in construction tasks (and exhausted, too) that at one point I did not notice the effectiveness of the traps and Amdro had waned and LRF were pushing back toward the house. As bad luck would have it, while I was on a two-day trip over to pick up materials at Loews on the Kona side some little red fire ants made it inside the house, up the cage legs into my African grey parrot's cage, and bit her under the wings. She completely flipped out. By the time I returned to HPP from Kona the next day she had done serious damage to the skin and tissues under her wings, biting at the LRF. I immediately killed the LRF back to the property lines again, yet the damage was done. She got into what the vets call "itch-scratch syndrome" and kept gnawing at the damaged areas; I finally had to medicate her (peanut-butter flavored liquid Prozac or apple-flavored liquid Prozac) and put the Cone of Shame on her. We are still fighting the battle, as every time I take off the collar she will re-damage the tissues under the wings unless I am watching like a hawk and pounce her with the collar the moment she stops preening feathers and starts chewing under her wings again. Neurotic creature. Anyhow, my advice is to be sure to do whatever it takes to keep LRF completely clear of the parrot flights and overnight cages as it is just hellish if the ants bite the birds and then the birds start chewing on themselves in consequence.

I have met a couple of other folks with feathered family members via CSLEH (the Center for Spiritual Living of East Hawaii - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Center-for...&filter=12 ) but so far that is the extent of the local parrot crew with whom I am familiar. Please do post here (or email me) if you know of anything local like http://TABC. Thanks!

Edit: Oops! Here is the correct CSLEH general website URL http://www.cslhawaii.org/ -the other one links to a CSLEH FB photo album.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

MSP's wingsuit segment from "Seven Sunny Days"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0tU3Hy7et8&feature=related

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

Just as a note Steven, my vet comes into town and stays at my house here in Juneau. He also visit TABC! lol You may have met him.

Anyway, once we move we plan on flying Scott Ford DVM out to the Big Island to visit once a year or once every other year and vet our birds. I don't know of any certified avian vets on the island (and I've looked) I know Scott used to work for Dr Spears and Dr Spears was flown to Maui to vet birds at a zoo there. Anyway, off topic. But I have asked him about Avian Maleria and he asked me to find out what specific species of Avian Maleria we have on the BI and I just shot him an email about Rat Lung Worm Disease and I'll post his thoughts. He works a lot with wildlife.

Dayna

www.AvianNation.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
We would indeed be fortunate to have the benefit of a working visit by Dr. Scott Ford here in Puna. I'd be glad to do my part with playing tour guide for him during his R&R downtime. I attended an all-day TABC workshop in Anchorage which he presented and was very impressed. There is a possibility he may remember me as the guy who kept asking so many questions; he finally paused and said "You must have grown up on a farm" (which is accurate) during the section of his slideshow featuring prolapse issues, when I asked about whether or not packing a prolapsed rectum (technically a cloaca, in birds; this is sometimes a problem for egg-laying hens, as with larger mammalian farm animals) with sugar would be useful in parrots if no professional care is available. The answer, btw, was "yes" -when the everted cloaca is sugar-coated and gently reinserted the sugar can absorb excess fluids and so help prevent another prolapse.

If Dr. Ford is willing to come and present the same slideshow and Q&A he gave in Anchorage at a venue in Hilo or Puna then I'd bet the event would be very well attended, given folks here with parrots knew well in advance that he would be speaking on the topic. Facilitating and advertising this sort of public function is the sort of service a Big Island version of TABC could be very useful in performing.

Looking forward to meeting you & your flock in person after your relocation from beautiful Juneau to beautiful Puna, Dayna!

Steven, what a small world! Scott was just staying at my house a few days ago. He'll be back in several weeks. He stays with us when he's on his way to and from different venues in Alaska. He said he'd be delighted to come to see us in Hawaii! I'll for very serious have him make sure that there are no licensing restrictions and if we start to figure out who has parrots, who would like vet check up's and get a list going that would be fantastic. He'll have use of my car and my property to ether go to clients or to see them on site (he does both here). He'll be happy to know what an impression he's made on you. Smile

We'll be moving in 3.5 years (seems far away but really that's very close!). But in the meantime we'll be making twice yearly visits to the Island to work on our property and get flights built. Our most important goal to meet before we move is those flights. Gotta have somewhere to put our parrots. Smile

Dayna

www.AvianNation.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
Is this the beautiful and charming bird who entertained us at dinner that time? I'm so sorry to hear that she is having this problem. I hope Dr. Ford is able to visit and help you.
Just got an email today on this UHH seminar:
"seminar will be given by Dennis LaPointe from USGS, Kilauea Field Station. He will present his research on ecological interactions: avian malaria in Hawaii.

Everyone is welcome in PB13-2 at noon, November 16th."
UHH seminar:
"seminar will be given by Dennis LaPointe from USGS, Kilauea Field Station. He will present his research on ecological interactions: avian malaria in Hawaii. Everyone is welcome in PB13-2 at noon, November 16th."

Outstanding opportunity to learn more on this topic! Thanks for posting the note, Carey. How do folks sign up to receive such notification emails from UHH directly, can you tell us?

I will crosspost your note over on the big mosquito info discussion thread, since many folks interested in mosquito-borne disease may not be reading this Parrot thread.

Is anyone here on the Forum planning to attend this talk? If so, would you be willing to post your notes and any weblinks Dennis LaPointe shares? I am coughing my lungs out at the moment with some horrendous cold (which is the reason I am online so much at the moment; usually I am outside working and just do not have this kind of time available for catching up & commenting on discussion threads). So, unless this cold abates rapidly then I will not be able to make it to UHH (as much as I would like to be there to hear this talk).

Steven, I got the email because I am in the TCBES program, but these seminars are on the University "News & Events" weekly page:
http://hilo.hawaii.edu/news/
[Crossposted with Mosquitoes & Disease discussion thread]

[I did not make it to UHH yesterday but my better half did; here are his notes, generously shared from the lecture. Please post corrections if you spot any places where these notes are inaccurate.]

---

Notes from "Ecological Interactions In Avian Malaria In Hawaii"
Seminar presented by Dennis LaPointe
USGS, Kilauea Field Station, Volcano National Park
Pacific Island Ecosystems Research Center
November 16, 2011
UHH

Dennis LaPointe is an entomologist at Volcano National Park who has been instrumental in the study of avian malaria and the ecological impact on native Hawaiian and other birds.

Historically, there were 52 known Hawaiian honeycreepers on the islands. Currently 26 are extinct and 18 are endangered. Over half of the honeycreepers died due to introduced disease. In the late 1800’s, avipoxvirus was introduced to the islands with a 40% to 100% mortality of specific honeycreepers. Plasmodium relictum (avian malaria) was first reported in the red billed leiothrix in 1940 with a 63% to 90% mortality. The avian pox virus can be transmitted on surfaces but is best transferred by direct injection, therefore a mechanical vector. Avian malaria must be transferred by direct injection via mosquito bite or blood transfusion. With the decline of Hawaiian birds only 10 species remain at the lower elevations; 12 species at mid elevations; and 16 species at higher elevations.

Avian Disease System [diagram of three overlapping circles, labeled "Pathogen," "Vector," and "Host"]

Vector/Host Overlap = spatial/temporal overlap; selective host attraction; host defensive behavior

Vector/Pathogen Overlap = susceptibility vs. refractoriness; biological vs. mechanical; impacts on survivorship or fecundity

Pathogen/Host Overlap = susceptibility=resistance; immunological response=tolerance; clinical and subclinical disease

Gonotrophic Cycle/ Extrinsic Incubation (86.2 degree days)

Sporozoites (developmental stage of avian malaria pathogens) are present in the saliva of the mosquitoes, hence the injected saliva transmits the pathogen. The incubation rate of the parasite is faster at lower elevations and slower at higher elevations. The largest population of mosquitoes are at lower elevations but can be as high as 1500 feet. Temperature affects both mosquito and parasite reproduction. Temperatures of 13 degrees C and colder result in the slowest reproduction; 40 degrees and above are more ideal. At 20 degrees C, it takes 3 weeks for incubation of the parasite in mosquitoes. Transmission rates are also affected by temperature: less than 13 degrees C = no transmission; 13 to 17 degrees C = limited and seasonal transmission; and greater than 17 degrees C = seasonal to intense transmission.

Post-Pathogenic Mortality

Living Native birds: Amakihi, Iiwi, Apapane, and Maui Creeper have 63% to 90% mortality from infection

Non-Native Birds: 0% mortality; infected with the parasite indefinitely but survive and serve as carriers

Dilution Effect

Came out of Lyme disease research by Ostfield & Keesing, 2000, and Schmidt & Ostfield, 2001. Carriers decrease as number of hosts decrease; correlates to elevation. It only takes a few seconds for a mosquito to transmit the parasite to a host. A single mosquito can infect more than one host by landing on different hosts. As the relative dominance of incompetent hosts increases, the prevalence of infection decreases. Non-native birds are incompetent hosts due to their defensiveness which protects them from being bitten by mosquitoes.

Vector Competence

There are four biting mosquito species on the Hawaiian Islands. Mosquitoes breed in water; must have pools of standing water. Feral pigs create cavities that hold water in ferns the ground. Mosquitoes also reproduce in standing water pockets in lava rock. An increase in pig density results in increased numbers of cavities, hence an abundance of breeding spots for mosquitoes.

Competitive Displacement

The four species of biting mosquitoes on the islands are:

Aedes aegypti - Transmits yellow and dengue fever
Aedes albopictus – transmits dengue and malaria
Aedes japonicas – introduced in 2005; drought resistant eggs, a grazer, temperate, but does not vector avian malaria
Culex quinquefasciatus – egg rafts, water column feeder, does vector avian malaria

The native damselfly, Megalagrion calliphya, larvae are mosquito predators. The damselfly is a stream pool species that are able to control the mosquito population. Predation decreases with temperature increase, therefore a 2 degree C temperature increase due to climate change can diminish the damselfly predation affect.

More info and resources are available at these avian malaria websites:
http://biology.usgs.gov/pierc/Biocomplex...sease.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avian_malaria

---
[End of record]