Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
picture frames...
does anybody know where I can get fairly enexpensive koa picture frames? My wife wants to mount some of her Hawaiian Quilts..

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
My wife, who is a quilter, says that mounting a quilt to a picture frame is a bad idea. All the fastening points will create tears in the quilt over time and ruin it.

Museums hang quilts via a sleeve sewn to the back of the quilt. A rod or dowel is slipped through the sleeve. Any clear protective covering used should not contact the fabric itself and air must be free to circulate to prevent mildew.

There are also other mounting schemes:

http://www.qualwoodproducts.com/

Hope that helps,

ArtM
ArtM, thanx for the heads up on hanging a quilt. My wife has put in to many hours on her Hawaiian Quilts to have them tear on her.

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Beachboy, Mother -in-law had some extremely large shadow box type frames made for some of her best quilts back in Illinois. There was a rod installed at the back that the pocket sleeve was threaded into. I am fuzzy on all of the details, but know that the rod wasn't metal. The frame was about 5-6 in deept & a little larger than the quilt, with a large glass front. You can get Koa at De Luz up in Mt. View. (He has a mill)