Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scary barn owl
I saw the original post, didn't know that the white ones were barn owls though... The barn owls back in the states were brownish, not white. Interesting!
Melissa Fletcher
Barn owls aren't completely white but their underside is fairly white while their topside is brownish. If you're underneath them when they are flying they will look quite white! I agree they are phenomenal looking and they are also quite capable of taking small pets away (cats and small dogs), so keep an eye on any small friends you have!

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
http://soundshawaiian.com/raptors.html
Orchidislander,
We must be close neighbors, and I probably heard the exact same cry. We had barn owls that nested near my parents house growing up so I knew the sound, but it still was startling to say the least!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

Orchidislander,
We must be close neighbors...

Hello neighbor! I've always enjoyed reading your Punaweb posts and look forward to meeting you at some point in time.

Aloha

Mike in HPP
We're on the Maku'u dead end stretch of 16th, about half way up. Are you right at the intersection with Maku'u?

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

We're on the Maku'u dead end stretch of 16th, about half way up. Are you right at the intersection with Maku'u?

Carol

Hey Carol.....actually we are on 18th near Maku'u. We hear all the parties, dances, Zumba sessions and almost any other celebration that occurs at the Center. Fun!
We hear a more traditional owl sound of "hoooohoooo" occasionally and usually at dark/dusk, so perhaps barn owls can make many sounds?

We've also seen bats flying around at dusk, although they haven't made any sounds at all that we've heard.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson