Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For nonresident vacation rental owners
What the!!!!!!
I relayed the extended experiences of one couple over a period of time. Didn't try to extrapolate. Didn't attempt to say it applied to anyone else. Just related one factual set of circumstances.

You on the other hand...

Never mind, people have their minds made up, this bill does nothing to address the woes expressed here - owner screwed by a manager, double booking someplace else, gossip from a forum of participants well known for negativity.

Not wanting this thread to go the way of others past - this is my last comment.

OUTTA HERE

Ddavid

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
I've stayed in 4 vacation rentals in Hawaii. All were very good experiences. My only complaints were the smell of some plant near the newer cottage when in Kau just S. of Naalehu and mosquitoes breeding in the vases of the beautiful flowers the owner provided when in a beautifully remodeled plantation house in N. Hilo in the Honomu area. If they aren't outlawed I will use vacation rentals again. Much better than any resort IMHO.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I agree, Obie. Much better than a resort. Best thing is you get a kitchen and can save a fortune over eating out.
Only thing is, vacation rentals aren't getting outlawed in this bill. If the bill passes, they will just need management that is licensed and must follow a specific code of ethics and business practices. And yes, most rentals are good. But the bad ones can have huge negative effect on tourism.
quote:
Originally posted by csgray...
I am open to hearing all kinds of well considered opinions backed by solid information...

So does anyone have any links for the stats, I ask again. So far, and I am not discounting them, all I have read is anecdotal comments, for and against.

What we already have:
1) a system in place to collect the taxes.
2) RICO/DCCA to complain about any grievances, or check on prior history.
3) the court system in place to sue for any grievances.
4) subjective areas like Trip Advisor to air negative grievances(or positive reviews.)
5) neighbors to report activity when they are pissed off.
6) VRBO/Homeaway $39 Carefree Rental Guarantee

The question I do not see answered either is how exactly will this make it "more professional"? And is "more professional" (i.e cold and impersonal IMHO) a better choice when many independents do a good job of making visitors feel welcome and "like our ohana"? And then based on the example of the company mentioned above that took so much money, how will the visitors be safeguarded if this fairly large "professional" company was allowed to do so much damage?

Who stands to gain from this bill?
1) Travelers? But even that is iffy based on just one example of the company mentioned above, and possible increased costs.
2) Hotels? Yes, put enough scare tactics out there and visitors will fear vacation rentals, and will only use hotels. Hotels and vacation rentals are always at odds. (My bet is this is where the lobbying money is coming from.)
3) Tax collectors - yes ... probably... but again the example above will they pay taxes or skate on that too?
4) Large tour operators as the hotels will refer the canned bus tour, etc operators rather than send tourists off on their own most of the time.
5) Realtors.

Who stands to lose from this bill?
1) Travelers - more added expense.
2) People like me who get income from a property.
3) Independent tour operators and service providers who depend on referrals from the small operations.
4) Tax collector possibly - it is a fact as proven by all our presidential candidates - the more you make the less tax you pay because you have more "deductions" and credits available.

Can anyone who is for this bill provide info on who are the lobbyists behind it and who is spreading lobbying money around? That would be interesting to know.

As for someone like me getting a license to do this, it isn't that simple as I now finding out. Cost, cost and then you have to be hired by a broker who does property management just to manage the property you already are managing providing it is accepted by the property management company.

@Jackson, I do not believe in anarchy but I do believe this is a inequitable patch that doesn't fix the problem; which as I understand is lost money, and bad rentals.

This is kinda like our leash issue down here. I finally said "what is the actual problem?" ans: Dogs pooping. "So as an if/then how is a stricter leash policy going to affect the poop issue?" I was not asking this sarcastically, it was an honest question. In my mind, it was DUH, it isn't going to fix the issue.

Thats how I understand this bill. Duh, it isnt going to fix the problem.

ETA: to change the DUH. Some may not accept it in the [Big Grin] spirit intended.

ETA#2: Supplying Testimony for this is actually more Big Island supporters than Oahu supporters -
Rob Dalton of Waikoloa Vacation Rental Management Inc.,
Kim Horton of RestoricaHawaii.com,
Dan Monck of Exclusive Getaways

As I understand from this website: http://community.homeaway.com/message/17152#17152 Mr Dalton suggested a random VRBO # was not paying taxes. Read some of the forum posts.
Real Estate Offices will profit. It will drive the inexpensive managers from the market which will make it worthwhile for the R.E. offices to more fully enter the vacation rental market in rentals other than just the upper end.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
HB 1707 was defered.

SB 2089 - Tuesday the 28th to review changes, etc.
I'm not any good at stats, but there is a poster at Tripadvisor who has been working with tourism and big money clients (including hotel industry) for a couple decades (posts as amberloo). He can give you stats to blow your mind without breaking a mental sweat. You can PM him ... his home forum is Oahu but he travels to all the islands on business.

He swears that the hotel industry is not threatened by the B&B's and rentals, that they have their own target customers.

My own observations:
From participating at TA myself and reading countless queries, I have to agree with him that there is very little crossover between the two. There are hotel people and condo people. There are condo people and alternative rentals people. There are B&B lovers who can't stand resorts. There are people who only do package tours and there are independents. There are people who mostly stay where they have points and can stay for free.

Very few people have no leaning at all and are completely undecided.

With the condo people and villa people, if they get worried, they typically seek other condo and villa options attached to reputable companies. They do not flee to hotels.

People who love the unique independent lodgings tend to have a high trust factor. Sometimes they do great and very occasionally they get burned. (I fall into this category of traveler.) These people are often quite intuitive, but they can fall prey to overly rosy ad copy.

As I said before, there are people who come here and lay down serious bucks, deposits of over 10K. These people have been getting burned more.

RICO is useless practically. It takes a lot of energy to file a complaint, and most people from out of state are going to feel daunted. I got defrauded by a realtor and looked at the process and threw up my hands, and that was a much bigger deal than a rental.

I'm not specifically "supporting" the bill or not, more just interested in the conversation.

It looks to me like the primary interest lies with the State of Hawai'i. 1) It will collect more taxes, and 2) it can say it is making an effort to protect consumers.

One last second to last thought:

If SB 2089 passes, it will put at least a few people out of a job in 2013. I know of 7 people in just my neighborhood that will lose their job. The real estate companies will [probably] not hire all 7 of us to work with them even if we all spent the money on the RE license test, joined the HBR, etc. We still will be looking for jobs.

If you have a job opportunity for any of us 7 middle-aged women with lots of admin and management skills, please email me. Pay must be commiserate with driving distance - right now our fuel costs are zero.

ETA: This came across my purview on a blog, if you think this bill is in any way altruistic or to your vacation renting benefit, think again. The group promoting this went to the Dept of Taxation requesting support, the Dept did not promote it. If you look at all the testimony submitted: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session201...-12_4_.PDF It is all large propety managers.

Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:56 PM

To: Recipients are void to protect them

Subject: FW: Housing Committee Result - Bill HB 1706

I didn’t have time yesterday to provide written testimony but they passed the initial Bill with a complete affirmative vote from the House...The Bill will require all mainland owners who rent their homes or condos out to have a licensed Realtor on island...ie...Bayer...vinson...~er~dt...~~j5 way the State can make sure everyone is paying their GET and TAT... yee hahhhhlll! But don’t tell anyone yet...let the Bill get passed! !...then we can get some $$$...unless they find a cheap Broker who will represent them for cheap...
The death of HB1706 in the House FIN committee may be a good indication of what will happen to SB2089 in the house when it crosses over. Please ask everyone who would be put out of a job to submit testimony. They can go to http://hservr11/gateway/Default.aspx and enter the bill number SB 2089 and follow it to the button to submit testimony. They can and should submit testimony each time the bill is heard by a committee. A page of personal experince and the horrors of unemployement is quite effective.

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L