Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earthquake
HOLY ****!!! Huge earthquake in Volcano. Much bigger that the last big one. Really scared the crap out of me.
Currently listed as a mag 4.1 and in the same spot as many over the last couple of days. Like the others it was quite shallow (5km) so am not surprised it felt strong there. Didn't feel a thing here (Kaloli Point).

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
That was a 4.1, in the same area & depth as the last 2 days swarms (and there have been a few smaller since...)
Magnitude: 4.1
Local TimeThu Feb 23, 2012 21:02:24 HST
Time (UTC):2012/02/24 07:02:24
Depth (km): 5.2
Coordinates:19.4360 -155.312
I saw that it was just reported as a 4.1, It felt bigger. It was only 5 miles from Volcano and 3 miles from the summit. Guess where I'm going.
Didn't feel it down here on Da Point, near TomK.

But then, when I was at work people would have to grab me and tell me I had to leave the building because the fire alarm just went off. I tend to be able to just focus on one thing, to the exclusion of all else. Right now, I am focused on learning and embellishing Hawaii Pono'i.

I wouldn't sleep at the Kilaua Military Camp tonight if you paid me. Might sleep in Mountain View, though, if someone asked me. My dog comes with and you must clear all bufos within a hundred yards with a propane torch. Do it in the rain to avoid setting the house on fire.

What IS going ON up there?
Just felt one in Hilo. rattled bottles on a shelf on the second story of our house. preliminary reports are 4.3

http://www.wedekingphotography.com
Most of the 60+ earthquakes in this current swarm are NW of the Kilauea summit, along the Ka`oiki fault line, which is a fault line between Kilauea & Mauna Loa flows, and is thought to be a Mauna subsidence fault (ie, there is a low chance that these are magmatic shifts, as they are not on the 'normal' magma plumbing in the east & west rifts of Kilauea)
Another big one, about 4.3, at 3:53AM. I could see the volcano glowing from my house which is pretty rare. But one of the geologists at the park said the same thing as Carey. The old Manua Loa fault going under the newer fault. Apparently this could spell a large earthquake. i was talking with someone this morning who grew up in volcano as far back as the 1950s. He has a bunch of earthquake stories.
Sure keeps life from getting dull
That last one woke us up out of sound sleep even up
On Hamakua. I hope the little quakes are relieving pressure so da big one stays away.

Mag 7ish quakes are no fun. Been in two, don't need a third!