Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROI on Puna Rental Property
The last time I looked HOVE was still above it's low point before the bubble. I'm waiting for it to get cheap enough again to pick up a few high altitude acres for a camp. The views and the quiet can be unreal but I wouldn't want to live there. A fire pit and a slab for a small camper and a pop-up would be all I would need.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Land has become so cheap that I've thought (romantically, I suppose) about buying a large lot and becoming a "gentleman farmer." Anyone remember Green Acres? I'm not sure what I would grow or how I would sell it, but the idea is appealing.

Maybe Mac nuts, like Roseanne? I understand you don't have to pick them. They fall to the ground and just get raked up. (Can it be that easy?)
MacNut raking can only happen if you have lots of fine soil (like Rosaanne has) On lots in HPP, you will end up raking in more cinders than nuts (most of the nut farms in Puna either have a deep layer of very fine cinders at the base & use tractors, or hire people to squat for hours a day filling ginomous bags (be aware that the MacNut market swings wildly here, some years you cannot sell the crop, other years you cannot have enough to keep up with the market.... )

Have you that of leasing you HPP lot for AG? not a huge market, but if it is near a grower, you may get a little $ (maybe enough to pay the taxes...)
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

Have you thought of leasing you HPP lot for AG? not a huge market, but if it is near a grower, you may get a little $ (maybe enough to pay the taxes...)

I have, but the leasee would have to clear the lot and rip the land. It's overgrown, virgin lava flow. I doubt if anyone would be interested.