Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keaau-Pahoa Road Shoulder Lane Conversion
Hawaii Islands District Two State Senator Gilbert Kaheles 2012 legislative accomplishments included $35 Million in new projects for Hawaii Island of which $2 Million was dedicated to the Keaau-Pahoa Road Shoulder Lane Conversion. This will be for the construction, reconstruction and widening of the existing shoulder and constructing new shoulders from Keaau Bypass Road to the vicinity of Shower Drive.

To read the full list of new projects for Hawaii Island as well as bills and resolutions Senator Kahele got through the 2012 Legislature click here: http://ow.ly/b0J0F

Still waiting......
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
And waiting....
My understanding is that the project will be put out for bids at the end of this year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I also understood before that work was to have already begun.
It was supposed to start about eighteen months go I believe.

Punaweb moderator
yeah last I heard the money they got for this project (since they could not get their act together) they sent the money to maui.

I think the headline should be for this post...

"SENATOR GILBERT KAHELE#699;S 2012 LEGISLATIVE ACCOMPLISHMENTS"

hahaha Man, how do you post this as an accomplishment? Unless you just want to lie about it?
I think it is almost criminal that they are proposing to build temporary shoulder lanes and then come back at a later date and tear the road up again and make it four lanes.
Just build that first section to the standard for the final road.
Rob, Obie, ericlp, hotinhawaii,

The article doesn't mention it, but I personally saw to it that the governor released this money for Highway 130. It has taken allot longer than I expected but we are going to get the shovel in the ground very soon and get this long needed project done for Puna. I am sorry I will not be representing Puna next year but you can count on me to be a voice for Puna with the Governor and whomever you decide will represent you in the Senate. Hopefully the voters of Hilo will allow me to represent them as well.

http://ow.ly/crmxU

Aloha,
Gil Kahele
State Senator District Two
Hilo, Puna, Ka#699;u
Thanks Gil -
What a lot of bloggers don't seem to understand is that there are a lot of procedures that have to take place that are mandated by law, and each procedure has a required timeline. Once the funding, the EIS, etc. are completed and the ball is in the court of the State DOT, then there are all the procurement requirements and other issues before the shovel hits the dirt. Yes, it all takes time, but the alternative to not following process can be chaos - and chaos on our highways can be dangerous and is not where we want to go.
I spoke to a member of the BOD in HPP on this yesterday.... there appears to be an inability of HDOT's part to do what they have done before and eminent domain the land needed which is held in ownership my several thousand HPP residents. HDOT seems mired in trying to grapple with making an agreement with several thousand individuals.

In essence it goes back to the lack of intelligence in the formation of our subdivisions.

HDOT: Do what you know needs to be done and move it along.

Mahalo Senator Kahele.

Punaweb moderator