Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Beaches Lot
Considering buying a lot either in Nanawale or Hawaiian Beaches and would sincerely appreciate any input on either subdivision. Just came back from week in Puna and are already planning our next visit!!!j‌avascript:insertsmilie('[Big Grin]')
Thanks
I have lived in Hawaiian Beaches for over 20 years and I love it here. There is water (no catchment), cable, phone high speed internet, small mom and pop store, elementary school, two parks, public bus line, all roads are paved, garbage service and lots of families. Hawaii Shores has a park with a small pool and playground, water,cable, phone internet etc. they have association fees and restrictions on pets (need to ask the association about the restrictions). I don't know too much about Nanawale but the bus only goes to the long house, most of the houses are on water catchment, a lot of the roads are not paved, they have a park with a small pool and playground, association fees and I don't know about any restrictions. For more information about hooking up to water (in HB) you can call Hawaiian Beached water co. for info on HS or Nanawale, call the associations. hope this helps.

Donna
Donna
Thanks for all the info Donna. I was leaning towards Hawaiian Beaches and it sounds like the perfect place for us.
Deborah, just keep in mind that HB and HS (where I live) are filled with "micro-neighborhoods", meaning, it's possible to find a beautiful house right next to a crystal meth producer/dealer. So absolutely check out your neighbors before buying, including visits in the evening, etc. We did our due diligence but were also very lucky as we have great neighbors. And yet, if we had selected a house just a block away we'd surely be in hell right now.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
The lots in Hawaiian Beaches are too small. You can hear your neighbors snoring. I would suggest HPP where the lots are an acre.
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

The lots in Hawaiian Beaches are too small. You can hear your neighbors snoring. I would suggest HPP where the lots are an acre.

The one-acre lots in HPP are long and narrow. Unless houses are at staggered distance from the road, you are cheek-by-jowl with your neighbors. When my neighbor on one side lights a cigarette, I can smell the smoke in my living room, and when the neighbor on the other side fires up their ATV, my house fills with exhaust. I can clearly hear conversations from either side (especially shouting into cell phones), and music, and vacuums, and catchment pumps, kids playing, dogs barking etc., etc. It kind of reminds me of the old days in the trailer park. I'm sure they can hear me equally as well, and I'm a night person so most of my "noise" occurs midnight and after. None of us complain, it's just the way things are, but if you're looking for privacy, HPP is not the place. Aloha!
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
Ha ha, we're back to the HB-HHP rivalry!

I can't hear my neighbors snoring, but I'd likely know if someone was breaking into their home. HPP folks definitely can't hear their neighbors snoring, nor would they hear a thief breaking into their neighbors' home.

The moral to the story: different people are attracted to different kinds of neighborhoods, so do your homework then decide what's best for YOU rather than listening to punafish or macuu222.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah Lee

Thanks for all the info Donna. I was leaning towards Hawaiian Beaches and it sounds like the perfect place for us.

This may sound cynical, but if any of these subdivisions sounds like the "perfect" place for you, I think you are in danger of leaping before you know enough. They all have warts.

Not speaking as someone who doesn't make mistakes choosing real estate, rather as someone who has gotten some unpleasant surprises. It is really easy to get "high"
on a property and just want so much for it to be the one that you tune out some red flags. Particularly if you are ready for the prroperty hunt to end.

At minimum, check out the potential of each adjoining lot to have an impact on you, and look into how people feel about the pros and cons of no CC&R's.
Make sure you know all the allowed uses of land there.
Check and see if the water company is allowing new hookups.
Best of luck whatever you pick.