Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
25 mph on Ainaloa
Oink,

quote:
Judging by some posts here there are a lot of slow drivers that never or rarely exceed the posted limit. That has not been my experience on the job. I've found those people are a rarity. Yes, in certain traffic situations the slow pokes can impede the flow of traffic and sometimes cause accidents, although they may not be physically involved in the crash. They cause those with poor judgement to pass when good judgement would dictate otherwise. Other than at intersections the crashes involving passing are the worst. As for enforcement, illegal passing is a hard one. It's one of those where even off duty LEOs mutter to themselves, "there's never a cop around when you need him."

Firstly, thanks for your postings in this thread, they are very interesting especially given your background. I appreciate your insight and knowledge in the area, it's good to read.

Secondly, I'm not sure there are more slower drivers here than elsewhere, the problem with slow drivers, particularly in the Puna area is that we don't have many major highways with more than two lanes. What that means, taking H-130 as an example, is you're much more likely to encounter them or their after effects. Got a nice clear drive into Keaau from HPP? Well, maybe, but more often than not you'll catch up with a slow driver with a bunch of frustrated drivers behind them and no way for others to pass that driver, at least legally. Then, when H-130 becomes a four-lane highway, the speed limit drops by 10 mph, so it frustrates some drivers even more (and there's quite often a cop there parked at the humane society). The frantic lane changing and need to get ahead of others is something to see just after 8am...

So I don't think its the number of slow drivers here, just their effects are much more noticeable. The same probably goes for the faster drivers and especially the more less-thoughtful ones. You encounter them more because the slow drivers end up backing up the traffic and so you see more people passing on the shoulder or tailgating you than you would, for instance, during a commute on a larger mainland highway.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Speed traps are good income for the county plus there has been a huge increase in the number of traffic fatalities and accidents on the BI this year. There have been a couple news stories now about people warning of speed traps. One woman was pulled over for flashing her headlights warning of a speed trap. This is another recent one, the police are saying warning of speed traps is considered obstruction of justice:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/woman-ar...peed-trap/
WOMAN ARRESTED FOR HOLDING SIGN WARNING DRIVERS OF SPEED TRAP

I don't go to Hilo that often but it has gotten to the point where I am surprised when there *isn't* an accident being cleaned up at the intersection of HWY 130 and Ainaloa. The people coming out of Ainaloa seem to be extending their driving behavior out to the highway. Yeah, it is a dangerous intersection anyway.
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Peasants should know they can't stand in the way of the King's men collecting the King's tax. Just common sense.

Speed Limits are set by politics and revenue generation possibilities as much as they are by safety concerns (if not more so). This is true everywhere in the US (the interstate highway system is actually designed for 80 mph traffic based on the cars capabilities at the time it was designed as an example) but seems to really be blatant here.

quote:
Speed traps are good income for the county
Your statement is accurate but there is just so much wrong with that mindset from a liberty standpoint. I personally disagree with the whole concept of pre-crime enforcement. But hey that's the country we live in.

http://www.wedekingphotography.com
This is where your "liberty at any cost" philosophoy falls flat. I drove through Ainaloa yesterday. I often use it as a cut through when going from Volcano to Pahoa. You forget that you are drving through a community that deserves respect from drivers passing through.
I drove through there last week and went with the flow of traffic, didn't look at my speed, upset no one and cause no harm or property damage and dodged the cops. That's where your statist views fall flat, people can function without government oversight. So there LOL.

http://www.wedekingphotography.com
I would agree, Jackson, except the Ainaloa community wanted the officers to be moved away from the long house and mailbox area.

The long house IMHO is specifically were people should be doing 25 and if brake lights are any indication, many people do slow down there naturally.

Since the Ainaloa community is the primary users, what is their opinion? Any one from Ainaloa on here that might comment?

I tried to find the traffic engineering study that was supposed to be done before the speed limit of 25 was posted but couldnt find it. Any link would be appreciated.

As for all the others who say they never do over the speed limit there, as I tell my husband, I need documentation. Not getting a ticket doesnt count - just means you havent been caught. This was my 1st tix in +15 yrs.
I usually try to keep it below 35 (which still gets me tailgated) because I thought the cops would give you up to 10 mph before writing a ticket. I guess not.

Beaten by Greg by 2 years!

Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com
Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com
Ha ha Jerry![Big Grin] I've got to admit that while going ticket less all these years, I had a memorable "first" road test when getting my license as a teenager in North Carolina.

Returning to the station after the test, I slightly scraped the side of my car getting into a tight parking space. The driving licence guy had to crawl over the shifter and get out on my side we were so close.

"Son....If I hadn't flunked you out on the road, this sure woulda done it"
My first driving test was done in a town in Southern Indiana that was so small they created a designated parallel parking space on the town square for the test. It was the only space in town that was certain to have two cars to try to park in between: the chief of police's car, and the Judge's car. It was nerve wracking to say the least and every kid who got their driver's license in that county has stories about taking that test, but the woman who is locally famous for major damage to both cars was the 98 year old great aunt of the Mayor. When my Mother became the Judge she remembered my parking test and had her space moved.

Carol

edited twice because it has been a really long day
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb