Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need mechanic for older MF tractor...
I have a early 70's Massey Ferguson 3cylinder tractor loader..I love this tractor..but i have been stumped with a problem for a month or two now... Runs but stumbles after a few minute, anyone out there know a farm mechanic or good mechanic who would work on a tractor.. I have gone through the fuel system and electrical.. and found things wrong, Repaired them but still have the same problem...Would appreciate any leads.. Mahalo's

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” " Krishnamurti "
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” " Krishnamurti "
Just wondering ... Did you check pick up tube INSIDE fuel tank ?

aloha,
pog
No i didn't..was going to but couldn't get the tank off... only went as far a the glass fuel bowl at the bottom of the tank it seemed to fill up relatively fast when i would open the petcock... Guess ill try to get to it another way or try to remove the tank again... could be it. Mahalo
Steve

Diesel?

look for leaks - minor seepage anywhere you have a low pressure fuel - threads, hose clamps, crack in the rubber hose - any thing that could draw in air.

Lift pump:
fuel pump or prime lever thingy - make sure it pumps up "hard" no spongy fuel lift pumps allowed. Check the pump for volume and pressure - again any kind of diesel residue on the outside (around the vent) is a clue the pump may have issues - spongy lift pump indicates air in the system.

Fuel filter:

Primary and secondary? (one or two?):

make sure there are not 2 o rings. After a filter replacement - sometimes if there is a o ring involved - the old one remained in the the groove on the underside of the casting. 2 o rings allow air to be drawn in, will not leak fuel out.... go figure

Water - draw a sample of fuel from the lowest point of the low pressure system - examine the sample in clear container, if there is water in the fuel - you will find it at the lowest point in the system - or dimple in the bottom of the tank - usually where the pipe threaded plug / insert is

hope this helps
Thanks Bullwinkle... Its a 3 cylinder Perkins gas engine.. I could never find any water in the system.. the glass bowl where the fuel exits the tank allows for water to sink to the bottom but there is none there..I put a bottle of heat in with a full tank just in case.. not a bad idea to do occasionally in puna even when there's no fuel problem..
Still same problem..

Try call Jean, who runs the shop above Hilo that was Wally Sadowsky's Foreign Car Service. He also works on domestics. Best mechanic we've ever used, a super nice guy and surprise, he cares more about fixing your car, than the money aspect of it. He has worked on both our cars for years and at times, has done work for us, then refused payment, after he fixed it. Imagine that!

Jean is a master mechanic and can be reached at, 808-854-3895.

Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."