Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ouch !
just not in production............ been the mantra for the last 20 years

Me thinks we will need to get the free standing 10kw units right before we start thinking about 100kw units in vehicles.

Like I said I've been waiting 20 years cash in hand for a 10kw fuel cell to replace my diesel...... meanwhile propane has dropped to the point where I can make electricity from propane for less than I can buy it from the utility........

There is a huge propane surplus and more coming btw.
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle
There is a huge propane surplus and more coming btw.

And how does it get here? On a huge oil burning freighter. Not indigenous.

BTW, recent analysis of the Hindenberg disaster has shown the cloth airframe covering was covered with aluminum dust to make the swastika show better. On that day, there was a lightning storm. When the ground lines were dropped, sparks started flying and set the cloth cover on fire. The cover on fire ignited the independent gas bags, then the hydrogen began igniting. The US space program has been using liquid hydrogen for a half century now and of all the disasters, none have been to the hydrogen igniting first.

Please don't spread urban legends.
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
"none have been to the hydrogen igniting first" - comforting grin - these are the folks that froze the O rings and were berated for having a lax safety culture right - NASA

Lots of theory on the Hindenburg - sabotage the most prominent

Propane is byproduct of oil drilling - a freebie - gets moved around in giant pressurized tanks like hydrogen.

When a tank explodes the contents empty - if the pressure is one bar the volume doubles on escape before ignition

if its at 100 bar - 100 times the volume before it ignites - hydrogen nasty stuff, toxic needs extreme pressure to store,more potential for massive fire balls if it gets loose. - With less raw energy per lb than gasoline to boot.- why make things harder.

BTW the reason most of us boat guys like propane is: In a fire propane flashes so fast its likely not to burn the victims lungs. Most other fuels kill in fires by cooking the lungs from the inside out. There are many factors to consider. Ive seen boater fly thru the air for 100 feet because of a propane explosion - and live to tell about it - cant say the same for the more exotic fuels.