Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gas stoves?
I have a pair of 100# tanks (23gal)on an automatic switching regulator. One tank will last me about 6-7 months. I figure my gas is running about 13 bucks a month. I have an on demand gas hot water heater, gas range and dryer. I even plumbed my BBQ to the house line so I would never run out of gas on the BBQ again. ;-) If I had the money, I'd have a gas cook top and an electric oven. I don't like baking with gas the heat is too moist for a good crust on my french or Italian bread. My last electric bill (today) was 105 bucks. This is for one person. I'd love to have a nice solar array on the roof but the cost is way beyond my means....

BTW... If you get the gas range, don't go real cheap. That is, get one that has at least one BIG high BTU burner. I takes forever to bring a pot of water for pasta to a boil with the average large burner. Just my 2 cents worth.

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

I use gas on demand water heater. Were still on the first tank but it's getting low. We have two 25# tanks ... 1 for the hot water and 1 for the single cast iron burner. We filled that up twice so for.

Not bad for two people and not having to fill the tank up on the hot water heater yet. We purchased this setup in June. Going on 4 months now! Smile

The only thing I miss is not being able to bake cookies, breads, cakes, and pizza mostly. So... I'm thinking of buying a gas bbq (we have a weber charcoal) but it's a pain to light the coals (waiting) every time we want a bbq. But, I've seen a lot people bake on a gas grill. Just get a pizza stone and your set! Tho, I've been keeping my eye out for a real propane oven. I don't want a camp oven (small one). I already have a nice burner ... I just need the oven part. I'd like it bit enough to cook a full size 16" pizza.

We have a new GE fridge from HD that sucks down about 1KW a day. Even at that we use rice maker, have a 47" TV two laptops, Lights CFL, Blender, even and Ice Cream maker ... Still our power bill hovers at about 50 bucks a month. I credit using our propane appliances. Hopefully one day we can move off the grid and stop paying hellco.

Anyway... I wanted to make my last point that... some people say gas is 5-7x More efficient than electricity... Well, I bet is more like 20x more because no factored in 50 cents a kW hour electric bill.

If anyone knows of a good propane oven that's big enough to cook full pizza in let me know or I'm probably going to opt of a gas grill (weber) and a pizza stone.
Eric, We do pizza in our oven with a 9 x 13 cake pan since a full size circle pizza won't fit.

"Government is good at one thing: it knows how to break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, 'See, if it weren’t for the government, you wouldn’t be able to walk." - Harry Browne
Definitely don't cheap out on the stove. A full-size stove usually has burners at 15K BTU. There are some really nice-looking RV cooktops, I almost bought one, but the biggest "big" burner is only 9K on these, so it would take almost twice as long to make coffee....
There's a non-electric drip coffee maker by Coleman I think it as priced $45 where the bottom of the unit is a heat sink and you place on the wood stove. I'm thinking for off grid system it only make sense to have 12 volt outlets for the fridge, TV and microwave oven from the RV store. Anything else?