Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bread Box in Keaau
Aloha! Anyone know what happened to the Bread Box in the Keaau Farmers market?
We were gone 5 months and came back yesterday to buy our favorite Sourdough bread and she has vanished!!!!!

So sad[Sad]
Robert is moving the Bread Box into the shopping center behing McDonalds, with Vernas & the Alibi... Though he was going to be there baking already, but have not heard anything more....
Thanks Carey, I've been looking for their new locations for weeks. Have driven that particular shopping center weekly (and others nearby) looking for signs of them. Apparently they don't have any signage as yet.
Thamk you Carey and Ryan.

I'm going hunting again for the bread box today. Will post later any news
KTA and Cost U Less in Hilo sell sourdough bread from Mamane Street Bakery in Kamuela. It is excellent!
I just wish there was some place that had good French/Italian boules like O'Keefe's used to make. Last time I checked the Bread Box only had tiny baguettes that were really expensive.
We used to buy all our bread from them when they were in the Keaau Market. Now we make our own.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Midnight, try the La Brea mini baguettes. You can also get the ones you finish baking at home. Yummy. They are at Cost you Less. But Costco has them in bags of 6 for only about 3.75.
From our family bakery (and used at a few of the California wineries in town at the time).

BAGUETTES
Mix Dry:

2 1/3 C. (10 oz.) Unbleached flour
2 Tbs. (1 oz.) Gluten (optional)
1 Tbs. (1/4 oz.) Sugar
½ Tsp. (1/8 oz) Salt

Dissolve in: ¾ c + 2 Tbs. (6 oz.) Warm water
1 Tbs. (1/4 oz) Olive Oil (Veg. oil can be used)
2 Tbs. (1/4-1/2 oz.) Yeast

Mix to a well incorporated smooth ball on 3rd speed.
Take from mixer to bench covered for 40 min. punching down once after 20 min.
Form into one baguette or rolls of desired size (6 rolls @ 2 ½ oz ea.)
Egg wash, score top and proof. Bake @ 400* for about 20 min. slightly less on rolls.

since we don't have a proof box I go with 1 hour proof on the counter, punch down, 1 hour proof and then form. 1/2 hour proof before putting in the oven.

Baguette pans make for a nice form and crust.

"Government is good at one thing: it knows how to break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, 'See, if it weren’t for the government, you wouldn’t be able to walk." - Harry Browne