Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency Room for Pahoa area
In an aside to the discussion on punatalk about the HPP fugitive dust meeting, Jerry Carr mentioned my presentation about PCMC and ericlp asked for more info. I promised to open a new thread today to provide the info, and here it is.

Puna Community Medical Center (PCMC) is a grassroots nonprofit that opened its doors as an urgent/acute care clinic at the Pahoa Marketplace on 2/1/09. It is the first phase in what will ultimately be a comprehensive medical center for Puna, including trauma care. The clinic is open 7 days a week including holidays, and sees patients whether or not they are insured, and whether or now they can afford to pay. We are now managing 500-600+ patient visits per month. Our income sources are insurance reimbursements, including manini Medicare/Medicaid, grants, donations and fundraising events. We operate on a very tight budget, with staff willing to work at lower wages (at least temporarily) and board members totally volunteer. All staff and board are Puna residents.

We are now gearing up to move into our 2nd phase: a free-standing emergency room (ER)with associated clinical lab and x-ray facilities. A 5 acre parcel of State land on Hwy. 130, just 8/10 of a mile Kea'au side of Pahoa (by the Water Dept.)is where we will build. We have an "approval in concept" from the Board of Land & Natural Resources, but are required to do an environmental assessment before they can grant us the requested 65 year renewable lease (annual rent will probably be about $480). Normally, an EA can cost about $30k. Malama O Puna has offered to do it at cost, estimated at between $11-15k.

We are raising money for this first step, but we can't get grants for the project until we have our lease, a Catch-22, so fundraising depends on donations and events until then. Because we want everyone in Puna to be a part of this project, which will certainly benefit us all, we are, among other things, making presentations to each subdivision community association, requesting that they make an annual donation of $1/lot. This keeps the playing field level between the larger and smaller subdivisions. $1/year is a ridiculously small price to pay for the added value to one's home of having ready access to health care - not to mention the peace of mind. I have already made presentations to Fern Forest CA and Nanawale CA and most recently HPPOA - all of which were very well received.

For more information, to donate or to volunteer or to offer to organize a benefit event, please contact me at renesiracusa@hotmail.com.