Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At last ... at last .... moving to Big Island!!
Cindy, are you guys on island yet? How are things going?

Carey, thank you for asking.

We love it here. We're in a temporary vacation rental one block from the beach in Hawaiian Beaches. Yesterday we took a jaunt across Saddle Road to the West side of the island and then up to Hawi, the most northern tip of the island. Lovely. At Mauna Kea State Park we had a picnic of poke, rice, fruit and shared it with a tiny male piglet who was quite friendly and very enthusiastic about sharing our lunch.

We visit the "hot pond" at Ahalanui quite frequently and love to go to the local open air markets here for fresh produce. The fish market in Hilo is another favorite for fresh and reasonable fish.

When we visited West Hollywood a few weeks ago to stay with my niece as we were shipping our car, we noticed gas prices in Hollywood at 3.99 gallon. Hawaii gas is still pretty reasonable compared to some L.A. prices. I was also pleasantly surprised at the $5.50 registration fee here in Hawaii and how it easy it was to get a license and a safety check.

My husband has a job interview Tuesday and I have tested with a local law firm as part of an application process. If I don't get hired the search goes on.

All in all, we are thrilled. Our most pressing issue is that we must get our of this vacation rental by July 13th, so we are actively looking to rent a home in Puna or in a studio for about $850 month, if possible.

Perhaps someone on Punaweb has some leads. We are willing to sign a lease.

Thanks

Cindy C.
Cindy C.
Glad you arrived and are enjoying your time !!

Day-Lum handles a number of rentals throughout Hilo and Puna.

Give them a try 935-4152.

Greg Henderson

I would also suggest trying craigslist, and looking at bulletin boards in the various neighborhoods and at businesses in Pahoa.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/

hi cindy,

my rental is still available in hawaiian beaches if your looking long term....its a very comfortable home/large with open floor plan, vaulted ceilings, koa wood, large kitchen and big lanais.

call if you are interested in seeing it.

noel
707-869-0488

quote:
... For those of you who commute to Hilo to jobs from Puna, how do you find the commute? ...

I found the commute to be horrid - from Kapoho to Makaala St in Hilo. I was spending more than an an hour and half on the road each day (without acccidents). Simply enough, i quit my job, did same thing but for myself at home. Now, I only drive into to town 1-2 days a week (IF I HAVE TOO!!! ha ha ha ) I didnt move here 20 years ago to trade LA Freeways for East HI hwy's. I just had to look at my options a little closer.