Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HMC Cafeteria and Patient food
Macuu222 and amf217 - the rates you quote astonish me. Did you have medical insurance?

I remember learning some years ago that if you are uninsured then the rate you are charged at a hospital is much higher than an insurance company is charged for the exact same services. Is that what is happening here? In 2005 I had to stay overnight at QMC in Honolulu after emergency eye surgery and the room bill was approx $500 of which I had to pay $100. My insurance company was and still is HMSA.

As for charging $100+ for each meal, that's just outrageous. I can sort of understand why a room would cost a lot given all the medical services that might be required, but how on earth can a hospital justify such an enormous charge per meal? I think I've only once ever paid over $100 for a meal and that was at a top restaurant for three courses and a bottle of wine. And cooking your food to order was included in the bill...

Absolutely gobsmacked.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
PS. I should add I'm pretty sure that $100 I had to pay for the overnight stay at QMC also included meals.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
I will post exactly what the meal costs were during 10-28 to 12-18 as Mom's bills are just beginning to roll in. Yes there was insurance but we are getting copies of the full bill 1st and a note than insurance is being billed.
Cat, I am glad you did get in touch with Naomi, my posting was to highlight the fact that she SHOULD be made aware of the food.

I have met Naomi, as she does give discussions & lectures throughout the community on diet & nutrition, & I was surprised to hear that HMC has such sub-par food (From the discussions I have been at, I would not have thought that she headed a dept that did not strive to bring creativity to the plate, even within restricted diet menus.... ) and I am sorry to here that probably is not what people here are enjoying....

As for the UH culinary program, it is outstanding, but as anyone who has gone to the Bamboo Hale for their wonderful world tour lunches knows, these are still community college students & they must attend other classes throughout the day.... If they could expand the program to a full time in-depth 4 year culinary program, maybe...
quote:
Originally posted by Carey...

As for the UH culinary program, it is outstanding, but as anyone who has gone to the Bamboo Hale for their wonderful world tour lunches knows, these are still community college students & they must attend other classes throughout the day.... If they could expand the program to a full time in-depth 4 year culinary program, maybe...

Carey - As I stated, I have moved past the Culinary program to the group that really drives the East Hawaii and beyond eat local movement. My only regret is Devany is not here. She could be a big mover and shaker on this one.
That's not exactly healthy eating; red meat and fried food. But at least it tastes good!

quote:
Originally posted by mar1957

Here in Alaska our hospital has the best and freshest food you can get a burger
with fries for $6 with a build your own burger bar.
They have specials, taco salad day, BBQ rib day, and prime rib specials
The best part is the place is super spotless and you don't need tip!
Oh and the coffee is always hot and free.

Just as a final note, got bill today. $1311 per day on med/surg floor. No break down by individual daily services that are routine with every room... like meals.
-- On a good note. My doctor said I needed to lose weight. I was at 225 pounds on my 5' 8" frame. He wanted me to drop down to 165'.
- Well, thanks to an illness that has had me spend weeks in the HMC (I'm going to Hono for Heart surgery later this month) with their inedible food I'm now down to 177. I'd be lower but Carol keeps bringing me food from home, Panda Express (love the hot & sour soup), Sombat's, or some other semi-healthful establishment.
- HMC always has a patient satisfaction person visit during your stay. I tell them I like the staff and hate the food. Do they listen - who knows?

Home of the "Just for Keiki" Luau show.
See: http://justforkeiki.blogspot.com/
Home of the "Just for Keiki" Luau show.
See: http://justforkeiki.blogspot.com/