Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for riding buddies...
Hey punawebbers! My wife and I moved to the area about 10 months ago, currently living in Fern Acres, and we absolutely love it! I recently picked up a stumpjmper mountain bike and I've been really enjoying the Kulani trails (when I'm not lost) out on Stainback. Anybody else out there ride MTB? How about motorcyclists? I have a sportbike as well!

Help me out it's gettin' lonely out there! Interested in riding with anybody of any skill level. I also want to learn to surf but I don't have a board yet.
Let me see if I can find a couple of web addresses for some local mountain bikers. First is a Facebook site. It's called Big Island Mountain Bikers. Search for it on Facebook "like" it and you should get any messages they generate. Start there and I'll get you a forum where a group of local riders frequent also.
These guys ride a lot at Kulani and a bunch of other places. I'll be back when I get an email digest from the forum and get you more info. I think they are the same folks that are on the Facebook site.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Give the guys at Hilo bike hub a call about the mountain biking, very knowledgable.

I would ride motos with you but my water pump just went out on my KLR gonna be a whole sec before I get it fixed. Maybe there are some other riders here on punaweb. I usually talk motos over on Punaonline.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
here is a bit more info. Still waiting for the next forum digest to come to my email and I'll give you more info.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/activity/biecotrb.htm

One of the rides/trails on the above website is the trail to Shipman Beach in HPP. I've hiked it but haven't ridden it.

I'm a 59 year old and ride my bike for fun, exercise, and transportation. I have a route in HPP that I often ride that is about 17.5 miles. I've ridden to Pahoa for our Saturday chess club a few times, and have ridden to Keaau also to pick up our mail at the PO box. I want to do a ride to Hilo, maybe to my gym (Aloha Fitness) and back if I can get feeling better soon. I haven't ridden with the guys I'm giving you information about, as they would probably ride me into the ground. Also my bike works well, but is a lower level (as in cheapo) mountain bike that I got for free, so it might get battered on the rougher rides off road.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Thanks for all the info! I joined the facebook group and also found http://forums.mtbr.com/hawaii/ to be quite helpful.
That is the forum I was talking about! I belong to a bunch of bicycle forums but couldn't remember which one had the Hawaii section. I get emails whenever anyone posts there so was waiting for that email so I could give you the forum address. You can go and readvthrough all the early messages there also.
I believe Hilo Bike Club was mentioned above. There is also Mid Pacific Wheels on Manono Street. They sell Giant and other pretty high end bikes there etc. There is also a mountain bike path at the Univercity in Hilo. I don't know exactly where the entrance is.

Have fun!!
Jon

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

here is a bit more info. Still waiting for the next forum digest to come to my email and I'll give you more info.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/activity/biecotrb.htm

One of the rides/trails on the above website is the trail to Shipman Beach in HPP. I've hiked it but haven't ridden it.

I've ridden many of these trails listed... based on my fast perusal just now, I'd say the descriptions are about 60% accurate. Smile An example is Mana road; the elevation profile may drop significantly, but they completely neglect mentioning the uphill portions, which most definitely exist.

I ride HPP variants often, though never to Shipman - not only is that trail fairly crappy after the first mile, but I try to stay off of it because many people hike it. Beach is a fun ride, in any direction. Railroad is starting to get pretty overgrown, so wear long sleeves/pants if riding it.

And as always, take tools and wear gear! (Helmet, gloves, pump, tire accessories, first aid, phone, etc...) And beware the drivers, seriously! (Read the other eighteen dozen threads on idiot drivers around here.)

Have fun!

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
I saw an article in today's Washington Post. There is a smart phone app called Strava that links up people interested in challenging themselves on bikes. There could be other people on or visiting the BI who use it. Striving for Speed and Mileage is the article's title.. Sorry, I couldn't get the article to link. I'd test it out but I only have a dumbphone.