Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop Repair
I agree that it is "Scareware". We had this happen to my wifes laptop about a year ago. We kept getting a message that we needed to install some antivirus program (I dont recall the name but I thought it was Windows Defender or Microsoft Defender) or we would be unprotected. It looked very official looking and the name of the software was designed so it would look like Microsofts real anti virus.

What I did was go back to an earlier restore point (assuming you are running Windows) before the malware showed up. This kind of malware is difficult to remove otherwise as it does not allow an uninstall. The earlier restore point does not have the registry keys etc that this program puts in your maching that makes it tough to remove.

After the earlier restore than I ran Malwarebytes. Malware bytes is like bleach for antivirus. After that I set up Kaspersky on our machines since it seems to offer very good protection consistently (according to AV Comparatives).
I also had some problems with my computer and downloaded AVG free antivirus, ran the scan (took about two hours), did what it said, shut down my computer and when I turned it on, it crashed. could not get anything to work. wouldn't even shutdown unless you hold the button. AVG did not work for me. computer at the shop. using a friends one right now. live and learn. Have a nice day!!

Donna
Donna
Always keep a cd of anti malware / spyware on hand. Use a downloadable iso antivirus that you can burn on a cd and run before your operating system boots up This one worked great for me when my mom's computer was hijacked and nothing else worked... http://support.kaspersky.com/us/viruses/...#downloads
Click on the place which says "distributive" and burn it to a disk. Put the disk in your cd drive and restart your computer. Make sure the computer boots off the cd drive and run it and follow it's instructions. Once it removes the infection, run an updated Malwarebytes to make sure it's clean. Problem solved.
I learned thru experience that sometimes Kapersky recommends you not delete something that you need to delete, so if it doesn't work the first time and you have a little computer savvy, you can choose to delete things it says not to because come viruses and malware hides in useful programs Kapersky will think are needed. You can always reinstall Java if it gets messed up, for instance.

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!