Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting history of Fern Acres
http://www.fernacres.org/faca/documents/...tters.html

When poking around the Fern Acres Community Association web site, I started reading their newsletter archive which dates back to the 1960s. It is a fascinating view of the history of Fern Acres and the surrounding area. I've made my way to 1972 so far, by which point there were 2 houses and 4 shacks in the entire subdivision!
I love this excerpt below from the 1963 newsletter - the more things change the more they stay the same.[Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin]

"...A few unthinking owners have built with scrap lumber what for a better name I would call shack shelters without benefit of a building permit. These deteriorate rapidly and, should your property be close to such a shack, it would affect the desirability of it either to live on or to sell. Through collective effort of our association, I believe we could prevail on the building inspector to make periodic checks to prevent this kind of building violations..."

I also love this from Pat Windle in the newsletter:

"Born (1939) and raised in the coal fields of West Virginia....I intend to make banking a career and hope property in Hawaii will become a retreat from the mainland."

At that time, Mr Windle would have been 24, young and idealistic. Now he would be 74. I wonder what he thinks now of Fern Acres?
Being that there was virtually no there in 1972 (some of us graduated high school that year - recent memory - grin) ..... really underscores the concept of "Local"

grin
wow topograph, thank you for sharing that! spent way too long going through the old newsletters. found many old friends that used to live there serving on the board. it showed how a small group of dedicated people came together to make that subdivision turn into a great place. i remember my father taking me into HPP years ago and telling me not to go into it alone, it was "spookeeeee" as he would say. cresent acres had "jungle-bunnies" but harmless, on and on about the various places on the island. brought back many memories, thanks for the sharing....
It seems most of the divisions have some kind of history pages buried in their site or a site put up by one of their "pioneers". This is the one for HPP and there is one for Beaches around:

http://www.hppoa.com/page1.html

"It was a majority decision to descend into the Dark Ages. Don't worry, be happy, bang on da drum all day! Onward to Elysium."
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*