Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gasoline prices
[:p]

Don't want to rain on your parade, but Hawaii has a bunch of incects and critters that make the ones in the midwest seem pretty benign. They have misquitos that rival the ones in Minnesota, fire ants more agressive than the ones in Missouri, roaches as big as B52's. Lizzards and more. Centepiedes are terrible, wait until you step on one of those at night going to pee. One of them was dragging my flip flops acrossd the floor one night and woke me up. And those noisy frogs, I actually got over hearing them after awhile, like when they would quit I missed them. We also had hunting parties where we would go find the frogs and kill them, either from spraying them with juice, or putting them in a zip lock and freezing them.But the benefits outweigh the cost.[Wink]

It takes a strong person not to put your tail between your legs and run back to the mainland, and a lot of people do.

Hawaii is not like your vacation was at a pretty nice hotel, eating at nice restaruants every day, and driving a nice rental car while planning the next adventure. Reality slips back in and work, living, and all the problems you left behind catch up to you.[xx(]

Spend a couple of months there if you can afford it, live in a place like you will be able to afford when you make the move. See if it is right for you and yours before you make the plunge. My advice is to go durring August, September and October, the hottest months, if you still like it then Hawaii is for you.

One thing as a side note, Hawaii is not like where you are comming from, where minorities are fairly rare. If you are white you are the minority, as a matter of fact everybody is a minority in Hawaii. And don't lump all the asian looking people together, after awhile each culture becomes very distinct and apparent. All are good people and after you get to know them you will wonder why you waited. Racism is more a joke there where everybody takes a shot at everybody else and laughs. Get used to it, Haole' [Wink]

Lot's of druggies in Puna, more than you would think possible. Most are weed smokers, but the real problems are the meth heads. Beware, but I know where you are from you have been exposed to them already.

Good luck, the cost of enegry is the least of your problem, at least in Hawaii if you can't pay your bill and they shut you off you won't freeze to death or roast. And "walking is not crowded" as I tell my kid everytime he wants money because he broke his truck being stupid again. [Big Grin]

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
Mahalo
Rick
quote:
Originally posted by Wuzzerdad

[:p]Our retirement income is around 100K,Rick

You have nothing to worry about.....
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Racism is more a joke there where everybody takes a shot at everybody else and laughs. Get used to it, Haole'

Not sure what you mean... It's a joke there or here? I find a lot of humor in race relations, but in today's climate you just gotta keep it between friends.
I will be ok with the bugs, because I have lived in Illinois all my life, but my wife.... may be another story. I have heard the skeeters ain't that bad there, though. On our honeymoon we stayed in Princeville on Kauai, and we went all over the island, inland, mostly (beautiful, btw), don't remember any mosquitoes. We hardly went to any touristy places. Never even took in a luau.

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
Huge amounts of misquitos reside in Puna, but it is a bit local- with some areas worse than others.
quote:
Originally posted by sputnut

Racism is more a joke there where everybody takes a shot at everybody else and laughs. Get used to it, Haole'

Not sure what you mean... It's a joke there or here? I find a lot of humor in race relations, but in today's climate you just gotta keep it between friends.
I will be ok with the bugs, because I have lived in Illinois all my life, but my wife.... may be another story. I have heard the skeeters ain't that bad there, though. On our honeymoon we stayed in Princeville on Kauai, and we went all over the island, inland, mostly (beautiful, btw), don't remember any mosquitoes. We hardly went to any touristy places. Never even took in a luau.

comin' your way soon!

If you have to ask about race issues in Hawaii you wouldn't understand.[:p] (as allways, my opinion)

Unless you live on the dry side the Misquitos are everywhere. Kauai is not anything like the Big Island. If you think it is you better visit first, Puna for the most part is a rain forest, there are areas where it is dryer than others, but there is humidity and rain almost every day. The trades keep the skeeters at bay, until night.

I am supposing that living on the Big Island the thing drawing you is the cost is much less than the other islands. It also is the reason most people go there to retire. There is a reason for that.

Most of Puna is home to some of the most independent, open minded, free thinking people on the planet. The words "Old Hippies" comes to mind for me. I spent 46 weeks in Hawaii over the last 12 years, ( I just counted them up) I intended to be there full time by 2012, but Cancer changed my plan in 2009. I still am not entirely qualified to comment on everything, but for the most part, I get it.

I heard the skeeters aren't that bad? from who? Maybe not any worse than the ones in Illinois or Iowa, but still pretty bad.

And Racism IS THE JOKE in Hawaii, not any thing directed at anybody or any group of people. Just the subject of racism is the joke.

Mahalo
Rick
Mahalo
Rick