Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geothermal Leak May 29, 2013 ??
Did anyone else smell the strong sulfur gas today? I was driving on Pohoiki Rd between Leilani Dr and the Lava Tree Park and almost started gagging. Stronger that I've ever smelled it in all my years here. My throat was burning!

I called the Fire Dept and they sent their Haz-Mat unit out to check but don't know if they found anything.

I think that makes 3 leaks within the last year... NOT good!

Later today coming home from Hilo I passed 3 ambulances with lights and siren coming from Puna. Hope it wasn't from the toxic gasses!
OMG here we go again!
......and I saw three buses coming from Poihiki,I called the weather channel to check on the waves, but I haven't heard anything yet....so I hope they are not evacuating because of an offshore Russian submarine unloading counterfeit ganga....

riverwolf
riverwolf
I was sure I smelled that smell yesterday when I went out to water my seedlings, and was wondering! We smelled that March leak as we were driving by the plant that day when it happened, and yesterday's smell was the same. We live off Kahukai in Leilani, just under the one mile radius. The smell was not overwhelming, but it was distinct and the same as the March leak. Any new news on this one?
WOW,This is great news.

Scientific proof exists that;

A. Human beings can detect H2S gas at very low levels,IE a fart.
B. Long term exposure to H2S desensitizes humans to H2S.

The fact that pander75 and Kiana could smell something near PGV proves that there is no danger from PGV.

If PGV has been emitting H2S for as long as everyone associated with the anti geothermal group claims,no one in the local area could smell it anymore.

Bob Petricci claims to be able to smell H2S every time PGV has even a light bulb burn out in the guard shack.

Thanks for proving that a health study doesn't need to be done!!!
Your call was taken seriously, better to be safe than sorry!

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections...plant.html
quote:
Originally posted by pander75

Did anyone else smell the strong sulfur gas today? I was driving on Pohoiki Rd between Leilani Dr and the Lava Tree Park and almost started gagging. Stronger that I've ever smelled it in all my years here. My throat was burning!

I called the Fire Dept and they sent their Haz-Mat unit out to check but don't know if they found anything.

I think that makes 3 leaks within the last year... NOT good!

Later today coming home from Hilo I passed 3 ambulances with lights and siren coming from Puna. Hope it wasn't from the toxic gasses!

There you go, Pander....you made the news. I was visiting in Leilani yesterday but did not smell anything bad.[Big Grin]

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Like I stated in my previous post,it is a good thing that people who live nearby can still sense these low levels of whatever gas.

Long term exposure to even low levels desensitizes human beings to the danger.

It is basically a harmless nuisance odor !!! If it was harmful,everyone nearby would have been dead years ago !!!