Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you keep your machete sharp?
quote:
Originally posted by pog

Disc sander ... Takes longer to walk out and plug in that it does to sharpen the blade.

Two passes per side and pau.

Dropped one once onto ground to gather up some stuff i was clearing, came back and it was gone ... Took me 5 minutes to tell myself I was not crazy and 15 more to discover I had dropped it into a puka that just large enuf to get my head into .... Poke around with stick first but no bottom ... Flashlight revealed one wood handle machete from kenya trip about perfectly vertical about 8' feet down !

aloha,
pog

I was thinking of a sander... .what size grit do you use?
I use a bench grinder but I do think you could do a more proper job with a variable speed disc or belt sander. I'm anal about the blades of my knives but I don't offer that much respect to my machetes.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I know all the guys who really care about this stuff gonna bury me so I need that eye rolling emoticon here for them.

That said, I can wield an 8" disc sander with surgical prescision but what I do is just set it on and pass the machete over it. I keep 60 on the medium firm disc so that is what is used ( rolling eye emoticon for you knife guys : ) ... But i know it would be much nicer with 180 - 220 which are some of the finest grits available for the 8" size.

More choices as you go to 6" and smaller as per autobody type stuff.

aloha,
pog

P.S. stay with the Gold 3M discs as the green ones are horrible in comparison IMO.
4" disk grinder.. metal fine grit disk.. couple of passes and pau.. simple once you figure out the angle and stick to it..
I use my benchtop belt sander with 120 grit belts.
start with fine metal file while clamped in a vice - second pass with a fine stone or some 320 or 600 wet and dry sand paper, lightly oiled on a block.
Hand file, disc sander, bend grinder, even a rotary tool - always seems to be dull the next time I use it, needing a touch up. I like the brightly painted idea, I can lose things in plain sight. Sad

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident