Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trop Storm to watch - Trop Storm Flossie
quote:
Originally posted by dayna

I've also been though tropical storms and hurricanes and this one was a breeze!

Very cute, Dayna. "breeze"
I would love to hear a report on Maui, especially the Lahaina area as my daughter lives very close to the beach. She is on vacation on the mainland.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Just talked to my hubby and things are not "that bad" just windy, rainy, high surf and thunder.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
According to the Star-Trib, all of Molokai and most of Maui is without power since a lightning strike hit the power plant there at 7:40 pm. .

Given the nature of the damage, it could be a while...

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/break...power.html
Thanks for the updates!
Flossie was a good "dry run" .... as the ocean water heats up stand by for the main event........
We were on a vacation in Kihei on Maui for the Dec. 2007 big storm. That one was a monster. Luckily, we arrived on a Monday and bought some supplies. That night the power was knocked out, the town was covered with about 3 feet of water. The bottom floor of our condo was flooded. About 3 feet of muck was left everywhere after the water subsided. We couldn't drive anywhere for 3-4 days. Upcountry was hit hard. Roads were damaged, a few bridges were destroyed, trees were uprooted.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
So as no one has mentioned an experience with the roads Kapoho - Pahoa areas. Very windy in Vacationland as I was working there in the morning. I'll just say that coming back up 132 around 1 pm, got to Y and road coned off, HPD officer talking to tourist Mustang, so went left through open space onto Pohoiki. Got as far as the middle of curvy area near PGV barn and found large albezia down across the road about 5 ft up angling down to about 3ft as it crossed over -- no way around. Turned around, stopped at Y and told officer another tree down, and then went somewhat nervously down 132, across to 137, R onto Pohoiki at Isaac Hale and up slowly carefully (lots of traffic coming down, many branches blocking half of road, but passable) to Leilani Ave where by then road blocked off by Helco truck and police vehicle and officer guiding traffic to go down Pohoiki. Lucky to get home to only 6 hrs no power, no damage.

-dwajs
-dwajs
{Originally posted by birdmove}
"We were on a vacation in Kihei on Maui for the Dec. 2007 big storm. That one was a monster."

I had moved from Seattle, on that Monday after Thanksgiving, to Kihei, for a job in 2007. I started work, the storm blew in, and I had days off right away, in a frickin' major deluge. I considered moving back to the gentle-but-wildly-annoying rains of Seattle.

I'm glad I stayed (and moved here).

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
quote:
Originally posted by David Shaw

So as no one has mentioned an experience with the roads Kapoho - Pahoa areas. Very windy in Vacationland as I was working there in the morning...

We left Kapoho for a Christmas party in HA that day. Little windy and cloudy by the time we got to Pahoa had started to rain lightly. On Ainaloa it began to rain pretty hard and by the time we hit 8 rd we were doing about 5 mph with lighting strikes all around us. (at the point on 8 RD - party house was 1 mi and Kapoho 20 miles away) About 10 PM skies cleared up in HA so we hele'd on and got home just before the second batch of rain started.