Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa roundabout delayed
Missed seeing this notice. The Pahoa roundabout has been delayed until January 2014 due to finishing up the archealogical monitoring program.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sections...layed.html
Pahoa roundabout delayed

Could be an archeological site could require this to be a figure-8 intersection[Wink]

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
CRISS CROSS CRASH
Update: FYI

(*Snipped - More at link)

http://bigislandnow.com/2013/11/06/pahoa...ate-start/

Construction of a single-lane roundabout at the intersection of Route 130 and Old Government Road could start as soon as April, the state Department of Transportation said this week.

Bids on the $4.8 million project, the first state-built roundabout on the Big Island, would be advertised in December and awarded in February 2014, said DOT spokeswoman Patricia Wong. If that all goes smoothly, construction would begin in April 2014, she said.

The current intersection, T-shaped with no signal light, is located between Longs Drugs in the Woodland Shopping Center and the entrance to Pahoa Marketplace, and has consistently rated among the state’s most dangerous intersections since 2007.
Construction of the roundabout begins in April 2014, and is estimated to take about a year. Just in time for the release of the Terrafugia flying car in 2015.

Top speed of 200 mph, so you should be able to circle the Big Island in about the same amount of time that Pahoa residents will need to get through the roundabout:

http://www.autoworldnews.com/articles/38...akeoff.htm
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I alway's seem to picture the round about in the movie with the Grizwald's, Hey kids there's big ben. I believe they are still stuck on the inside lane?. Should be very dangerous and not so comical as we all try to adjust to this. I hope I don't have to drive through town just to avoid this possible hazard. That seems like the next elections sign waving place in the making. I hope everyone remains patient and safe to allow our forward progression. Is that what people in Puna wanted?. Did most really want another gas station (Paul's), or Burger king, or Kfc for that matter?. I always thought the round about was to be built with that possible development there. I guess no way of going back to the way it was huh?. Well we don't have Big Ben, but maybe we can put a bill board of the lava flow or ?????.
gypsy, several of us love Burger King's location. We do plenty of volunteer work and when we are done, we are sweaty and hungry and thirsty. So we go to BK and talk and laugh for 2 or more hours! Cool off, get refreshed, listen to mellow Hawaiian music. We look forward to that time.

You brought up a very good point! What about sign waving at the roundabout? That hopefully will be outlawed.

Previously on Punatalk, there has been discussion of putting the roundabout at Kahakai ....seems much more sensible to me.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
R.I.P.