Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got a part time job.....
.....teaching chess to K-6th graders in two separate classes at E. B. Desilva Elementary School in Hilo. One class will be for the K-3rd graders, and one for the 4th-6th graders. Should be fun. These are after school classes. Principle Dennis O'Brien authorized ten new chess sets with boards, and a demonstration board/set that hangs on a wall and has flat pieces. Great for instruction purposes. The sets are the universal tournament legal with rollup boards.

I start Monday. I did this for five years back in Washington State. I'm looking forward to this.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Congratulations! That's good news for all concerned.
Good luck! I'll probably see you up there.
Congrats Jon!

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
DeSilva is a very good school. Two of my grandchildren are lucky enough to live in that district and attend there. We're putting their future in your hands. As you said it can be fun. Kids have a lot to teach us. I'm sure they'll be able to show you a few things as well.
Congrats Birdmove! EB Desilva is a highly rated school in the state. There was some kind of article last month on its rating. I remember you mentioned that you did this in Seattle. Its great that you are getting this started. All schools in the state, especially the Big Island are under-represented in the scholastic chess competitions. Maybe things will change soon with programs like these. This is very good news!