Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Costco on the East side
All you need is a cad file. Most of the time you can just design what you need on the computer and render a cad file unless you are wanting to do a 3d copy of an object you already have. Also you can often find cad files of objects you might want to print online especially more common things. Most of the time though people just make custom cad files. I guess if you wanted to print something super intricate you might have to scan and duplicate a 3d object but most consumer grade 3d printers are not made to do the really intricate stuff anyway. The software to make cad files is pretty user friendly and not that hard to make really exact renderings of what you may want to print.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

quote:
Originally posted by terracore

the reality is that in the near future 3-d printers will be able to make just about anything.
Exactly!
Can you imagine a medium scale industrial shop in Pahoa that could print replacement parts for weed wackers, cars, trucks, washing machines....

Or a bike/skate shop with a small commercial 3-D printer to make accessories customized by design and color? Kids could have a basic model bike or skate board made to their individual specs.

It would be a deterrent to theft as well, as stolen property would be easy to identify by the owner.

The 3 D Printers may be on the island ready to manufacture products, BUT the materials will still have to be imported. Its like having a printer without the ink. The various kinds of plastics and metals used by 3 D printers are just not going to be found on the island. These materials, I suppose, could be imported in massive quantities to bring the material and shipping prices down, but you're still not going to have a totally "homegrown" industry on the Big Island unless someone comes up with a way of using lava as a material that can be used by a 3 D printer.

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
quote:
Originally posted by Cagary

These materials, I suppose, could be imported in massive quantities to bring the material and shipping prices down, but you're still not going to have a totally "homegrown" industry on the Big Island unless someone comes up with a way of using lava as a material that can be used by a 3 D printer.
There is a lot of discussion about using the existing basalt on Mars as a building material for future missions to that planet:
http://www.gizmag.com/martian-architecture/28999/

Hawaiian lava is mostly basalt:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_eruption

HI-SEAS just completed an endurance study on Mauna Kea which simulated living conditions in a small scale colony on Mars. Perhaps next they could experiment with basalt construction materials. With the right formulation they may come up with a mixture that would not only withstand Martian weather, but Big Island weather conditions as well, which would provide not only Mars but Hawaii with a local and abundant building material. Then with some modification it may be possible to create a very fine mixture to use in 3-D printers.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The Versaprint3D printer that Connections Charter School is using extrudes ABS plastic (Lego material; and we are investigating the use of recycled material).

Any material that can be extruded is capable of being printed, and people are even experimenting with printing buildings. Our middle school and High school students are now learning this technology, and have an opportunity that is unavailable to even UH students.

The "Makery" on Keawe and Kalakaua downtown will soon be open for anyone interested in training and accessing 3D printers, CNC mills and Laser Printers.

Look for announcements or stop by and chat.
quote:
Originally posted by dragon2k

I never said anything about anybody benefiting anybody. Ours is a convenience economy and Costco fits that bill to a T. If you are trying to turn Hawaii Island or the Puna District into some kind of mutually beneficial commune type environment then I'm sorry but you're going to be disappointed. The back to the land movement moved to the hinterlands not the subdivisions!

Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile

Open your eyes!!! Are you blind as well as deaf and dumb? Move to Kona, your people are there.
There are high end confectioners using 3D printers to create one of a kind edible sculptures out of chocolate, so what you can do is pretty much up to your imagination!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb