Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malihini herding
hey all. Not wanting to learn the 'hard way' or in any way that is offensive to people's property or the island .. what is the most respectful spot to use/enter the tidal pools off of 137?
Which ones?

I hear there are a stretch of them around mile marker 9
just walk to them, the road you call Hwy137 is better known as "The Red Road"... there are many spots to access the coast, anywhere there is not a private driveway is all good IMO, there are many cool spots w/ tidal pools (dozens I know of) but they are not easily described here, I have hiked the whole length of Lower Puna over the years, many times...
My favorite area for Hawaii History and secluded sun is the small graveyard (with Ohia mixed inbetween the graves, not the one w/ plumeria) between Kalani and MacKenzie, if you go to the back of it (only about 100' from road) there is a slight mound of A'A lava and when you reach the top (maybe 8' tall) and look towards the ocean, there is a large Hawaiian Heiau complex (stacked rocks in large square platforms).. its sacred land so please dont walk on them, but its a great photo opp. If you go to the left of it there are some nice secluded pools and even a few gravel beach like spots to get wet a bit.
Another good easy spot is to go to MacKenzie St Park and then go to the left along the shore about 1/3-1/2 mile or so, there are alot of pools here too, and even some white sand slightly inland from the shore cliff to lay out on. nice spot as well.
Another easy spot is the natural hot pond at Pohoiki its only about 50' from the shore in the middle of the bay (maybe a 200' walk from boat ramp), follow the edge of shore from boat ramp (DO NOT walk on the property to right of trail or you will hear about it) this short trail through the milo, hau, hala, and kamani trees is beautiful and also shows this used to be hawaiian village years ago ... actually any place you see large older Kamani Trees was a Hawaiian village years ago ie where Kalani is, Kehena is, etc., and many spots along the Red Road where they overhang the road etc...

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
PS. the edge of the coast is free to walk on, no one owns the coast or the cliff edges ie if you want you can actually walk behind any house in HPP built on those cliffs, they DO NOT own the coastal edge! its public land!
Thats why you can walk to Shipman Beach, all the way from Hilo or from Kaloli Pt in HPP and also walk along that small bay in the sandy areas (stay off grass or rockwall or the Shipman Family buffoons watching the surveillance system will come running out to harass you)

http://seagrant.soest.hawaii.edu/public-access-rights

You just did a very nice thing, bananahead, much appreciated. Thank you.
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

PS. the edge of the coast is free to walk on, no one owns the coast or the cliff edges ie if you want you can actually walk behind any house in HPP built on those cliffs, they DO NOT own the coastal edge! its public land!
Thats why you can walk to Shipman Beach, all the way from Hilo or from Kaloli Pt in HPP and also walk along that small bay in the sandy areas (stay off grass or rockwall or the Shipman Family buffoons watching the surveillance system will come running out to harass you)

http://seagrant.soest.hawaii.edu/public-access-rights

an din...how far back from the cliff edge can one use to traverse the coast/cliffs from hilo to pohoiki...24", 36', 50'??...mahalo