Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay to turn off pump when I have solar hot water?
When I first moved in, I would turn off the water pump when I left for a couple weeks, just in case there was a leak while I was gone. I installed a solar hot water heater, and want to make sure I can still do the same. Does anyone know?
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
I can't answer that question but if it were me with this question, I'd be calling the installer.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
One of our leading citizens in Pahoa was terribly injured (as I am told) by a solar hot water heater. Got scalded to the point of needing skin grafts and is fighting infections.

If you have some questions on the heater - don't come here for answers - have a professional answer... and pay them if needed.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Call Drainpipe, they will probably tell you for free.
As a former plumber I can tell you that is not a good idea.

You should also drain your panels first or if you are just gone a short while you can cover them to block the sun.
quote:
Originally posted by Justin

When I first moved in, I would turn off the water pump when I left for a couple weeks, just in case there was a leak while I was gone. I installed a solar hot water heater, and want to make sure I can still do the same. Does anyone know?

Cover the collector with a tarp. The water heater could end up blowing off thru the pressure relief valve if the collector is uncovered, the system is not in use and the pump is off. People get scalded from either this situation or no tempering valve installed.
Thanks everyone, and I will call Drainpipe. I should have mentioned that I have a separate electric pump that theoretically cycles the water between the panels and the tank when the water gets too warm, so my thought (hope) was that this could just cycle the whole time I am gone, irrespective of whether the water pump is on. But I'll check with Drainpipe to make sure.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present