Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congress passes helicopter noise act??
"A day after the House of Representatives passed the measure, the Senate voted in favor of the Los Angeles Residential Helicopter Noise Relief Act, sending the bill to the president's desk for his signature."

What does it take to get something like that for here?

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me...z2qcfaR4nW

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Here.
"In August 2012 and June last year, hundreds of people turned out at two public hearings hosted by local elected officials. One after another they testified about the window rattling din of rotor blades that made it difficult to sleep, talk on the telephone or have a normal conversation."

County councils, representatives and senators we need the elected representatives to represent their constituents needs and host forums on these topics... I'm thinking:

-heli noise
-dead bodies / mystery killings
- alternate route / evacuation route
- lack of infrastructure except in Hilo - prevented by Hilo? Seems unfair.

Good topic. Hopefully community forums like these could lead to the passing of actual legislation wanted by the people instead of corporate legislation written by lobbyists like ALEC ...

http://m.democracynow.org/stories/13138

^ if you've never heard of ALEC.

(American Legislative Exchange Council)
LA has alot of money, power and votes
quote:
[i]

What does it take to get something like that for here?

People organizing and making a lot of noise. So ... it's basically up to "us" to get it done.
For starters, an outright ban on all tourist airplanes and helicopters. Why not?! They provide jobs for, what, a 100 people. But they cause noise pollution for hundreds of thousands of Hawaiians.
Not happening: tour operators bring in revenue; the flyover subdivisions are full of "property tax cheats". Existing regulations are flagrantly violated, people complain, nothing continues to be done about the problem.

The last few evenings, I've seen a single-engine plane, sometimes it flies so low I can read the tail number without binoculars -- I don't even bother writing it down, because I know that the regulations aren't being enforced.
The helicopters generally seem generally well behaved above Eden Roc (except the green team). If they start flying low I'll just start wandering around naked until they stop. There is at least one advantage to getting older.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike