Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When, not If lava crosses 130...
"Gas emissions remained elevated"
I watched a documentary on volcanos a while back and they discussed several cutting edge methods of imaging through volcanos using a couple different techniques to image the core chambers. They also found a way to determine if eruptions were eminent through gas emission levels. The program is available on Netflix - Deadliest Volcanos by Nova.

When we hear gas emissions are dropping that may indicate the eruption maybe nearing an end or subsiding. The fact the emission's remain elevated would indicate the eruption output has not changed. There are a couple basic aspects with regard to the flow, there's advancement and pooling/building. If you notice, the previous flows are atop the advancements in the illustrations. That's an indication that the previous flow has been elevated atop the current flow as it pools/builds up. Along one or two of these fingers there maybe an eventual tube formation that will later conduct the future lava advancements. I don't think reliance on daily advancement reading are an indicator of the volume or an indicator of the overall potential yearly advancement. Though advancement may slow, volume building may remain unaffected.
quote:
The houses cut off aren't destroyed, so there is no insurance claim.

Brilliant!

This also means any Big Federal Bailout would be paid to ... the poor State that lost its road.
It would be pretty cool down in lower puna if the road did get cut off. Probably would be much more like it used to be.
But it would be really hot right were the lava is flowing. And if you watched Cosmos on Sunday night, even more like it used to be.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Quote:
"The houses cut off aren't destroyed, so there is no insurance claim."

Correct, but in the case of the Kalapana inundation during the 1990's, Homeowners that were cut off qualified for low interest FEMA loans, while retaining ownership of their cut off house.

EditConfusedp