Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
picture speaks for itself!
Wether dogfighting is a Southern thing or southern African-American thing or Ghetto thing is immaterial--it is cruel and inhumane.

I agree that dog fighting is cruel and inhumane. I also feel strongly that tens of millions of americans support inhumane treatment of animals without even being aware of it. I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but don't eat a lot of meat because of this. Sadly, america's food production has evolved from growing healthy animals for consumption, to profit driven torture of food animals. The Mcnuggets and extra crispy's that are consumed by the ton are raised in horrifying conditions; Wallowing in their own feces and pumped full of antibiotics and hormones. See the movie "Fast Food Nation" for an eye opening look at the industry. It' very graphic and not for the squeemish, with some scenes shot on the "killing room" floor. I'm not against eating meat, but a Pua'a hunted and cooked locally is a much better option than Fast Food.

quote:
Beachboy, I am a lifelong Southerner and have never been to a dog fight or heard of anyone going to one. I don't think dog fighting is a Southern thing at all.

Atlanta/Pahoa

it would appear you have lived a sheltered life if you don't think dog fighting isn't part of southern culture. I'm not saying that's a bad thing either. But where in the south have you lived? I'm assuming you never lived in rural areas of the south? It tends to be more prevalent in the back wooded areas.

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
I know its easy to get worked up over a vision of dogs being taught to fight to the death, but I need to mention something much more common.
This won't be a happy read, but when will we start to grieve for the young run-aways, or betrayed girlfriends that the pimps control? They don't chose to "service" strange men, its forced on them - they have no backing, or safe haven. IF you try to leave, they kill you - no problem. Bought and sold, the end is really nasty - whether from diseases, torture or suicide - how many times a night - night after night (not like the Priests who were moved around) with no hope or refuge? Raising our girls on fairy tales about white knights and being famous gets a horrible repeatedly abused "life" with no way out.

Beach,

I know you are an adimant defender of the Pit Bull. I was looking at your picture of Vick while watching the news here in Austin when this story came on. I cut n paste it for you but i'll add the link as well. Oh and as for dog fighting in the south; I live in a very rural area of TX and the only thing that they fight around here are Roosters. (yes it's illegal) The hispanics seem to be most attracted to it. Anyway here's your story about a Pit that has never fought of snapped. Dude...please be careful with your children.

'First time dog had snapped,' says boy's mother

10:32 PM CDT on Saturday, September 1, 2007

By BOB GREENE / WFAA-TV

Aaron Lambert/DMN
Warren doesn't ever want to see a pit bull again. Also Online
Dallas boy, 6, killed by pit bull

Bob Greene reports
Just hours before that law went into effect, a 6-year-old Dallas boy was mauled to death by his family's dog.

The mother of Scott Warren says they had had the pit bull since Scott was a baby.

She says last night was the first time the dog had snapped at someone.

But, she says, with a young daughter in the house, now her only child, it will be the last.

"It's going to be difficult from now on," said Kressie Warren.

She weeps, regretful she ever got the pit bull that took her son, Scott's, life.

"I don't want to never see another pit bull, never. Because he took a precious life."

The mauling happened just before 7 p.m. Friday night.

"We were sitting there in the room and all of the sudden the dog just jumped at him, grabbed at him," Warren said.

Her daughter was in the room with them.

"She was at the back, I was grabbing his mouth trying to get him loose but he was slinging him everywhere."

By the time they got the dog off, it was too late.

Scott eventually died at Baylor Hospital.

Six years old, he'd just finished the first week of first grade.

"I'm not going to see that little boy go back to school, I'm not going to see him play sports, graduate or anything. All because of a stupid dog," Warren said.

Warren is fortunate the attack took place yesterday and the dog was in a contained area.

Otherwise, under a new state law that went into effect today, she could have faced up to 20 years in prison.

Patricia Hughes, Warren's neighbor says, while she doesn't like the idea of having pit bulls and other dangerous breeds at home, she thinks that punishment is too harsh.

"I really think that's too severe. People have committed worse crimes and haven't served that much," she said.

Warren says she's already been given a life sentence.

"Learn from a single parent struggling to raise two children and now I'm down to one. Get rid of the dogs," she said.

Police say right now, they're considering this an accidental death, so they're not pressing charges against the mother at this time.
http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/090...b0c3e.html

Blessings,
dave

"Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield"

Edited by - Dave M on 09/02/2007 17:17:53
Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

Only man made, ententional, dog fight I ever seen was the punk kid who lived down the bock from me, 1967 or so, sic his dog on mine.. had i known, what i know today, I would have traded in my dog for a pit back then, and returned the volley.. sic em boy!!

Vick is probably, looking to sign a deal on a real life movie or TV show titled: LOL. 'The longest yard' for real..

Edited by - Jeffhale on 09/04/2007 19:49:56