Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
L.A. Times: In Hawaii, a healthcare system apart
An interesting point of view on Hawaii's health care.

In Hawaii, a healthcare system apart

The state's trailblazing system and widespread insurance coverage mean its residents are some of the nation's healthiest. But that only underscores the disparities across the U.S.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-heal...z2xzqLKjyN

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
interesting how often we need to lean on the times to get our news - well worth the digital subscription - thanks for the link
HMSA quoted me $500/mo premium; if these are truly "among the lowest costs in the country" (per article), then I guess I should be glad I'm not getting it somewhere else?
my kids pay over 3k a month for self insuring a blue cross family of four..... its all relative......
It just means that Hawaii is good at cooking the books on statistics.like counting private roads in their mileage but not counting accidents on those roads
This article really glossed over some of the real problems in Hawaii health care, although it did mention the issues faced by clinics serving the uninsured. What about the growing and critical shortage of primary care physicians on the Big Island? What about the current legislature balking at funding the residency program based in Hilo? As usual, if you live on Oahu, you get all the bells and whistles. The rest of us, not so much.
As Bullwinkle stated above, it's all relative. The author of the article Rob posted is comparing the entire state of Hawaii to the other 49 states. On that basis, Hawaii has a very good system when stacked up against most other states. Yes there are problems in Hawaii's healthcare system just as there are in say, Mississippi. And you can certainly find specific examples here in Puna or Hilo that show our system isn't perfect. But on the whole it's probably better than it is in Mississippi or elsewhere.

Divided; The Perils of Our Growing Inequality states it is not the health care system itself, or health related behavior that cause America to rank 30th in the world in health measures, it's inequality. If that's the case, the high percentage of insured Hawaii residents (as compared to other states) might be part of the reason we are the healthiest in the nation:

http://www.bostonreview.net/us/stephen-b...lity-kills
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Another cause for Hawaii's health might be the climate. I saw a recent news item that Vitamin D (best got from the sun)appears to help prevent a number of diseases, including heart disease.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
quote:
Originally posted by Lee M-S

Another cause for Hawaii's health might be the climate. I saw a recent news item that Vitamin D (best got from the sun)appears to help prevent a number of diseases, including heart disease.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>

Then again, I wonder what the skin cancer rate is for Hawaii being so close to the equator. And remember, the bad UV rays go right through the clouds on the east side of the Big Island. So if you think you're safe on cloudy days in Hilo, you're not.

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".