Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RJ Hampton files for District 5

[/quote]
The thing is.. as with learning to read.. there's a measurable difference between reading and comprehending what you read. And though Ms. Hampton certainly can do the reading.. i.e. cut 'n paste.. there's a general feeling she hasn't got the comprehending part down just yet. The part about digesting what she learns and being able to then communicate it to others.. which agreeably is hard for most.. is something she might consider hiring a professional to do for her.

[/quote]To the contrary, she has a great ability to comprehend what she reads. I worked with her during the Bill 270 (Building Code adoption) controversy and it was amazing how she could read the different codes and fully comprehend them in order to write meaningful amendments. Her research abilities are exceptional and she comprehends all her research in order to make a proper and informative decision.
What the county council needs to do is go through the County Code, paragraph by paragraph, and bring it from 1983 (2005 amended) to a 2015 version, period, no special little qualifying amended note in parentheses.

They will never do this. It is work and the council really doesn't like real work. They like hallucinating they have a say in all global issues and matters, that they look at Honolulu and point out all that is wrong there, how they see vile and corrupt evil in every stage of government and business. You have to admit, that is a lot more fun than getting the County Code updated, not just amended with amendment on top of amendment.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
There has been a trend over the last 20 years or so towards local governments like city and county councils to spend a lot of time on taking positions on global and national issues, it is not limited to our county council.

To my great surprise I agree with PT on something, the County Code does need to be brought into the 21st century, but I disagree with why it will never happen. It is not because our county council is lazy, or afraid of work. I think it is because they all know that doing that will create such a tempest in a teacup, that so many people will feel like they or their special interest is being harmed, or are not getting what they want out of the redo, that not a single councilor involved in the process would get reelected. Simple political self preservation, not laziness.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I wish it was sloth instead of pride or avarice that keeps politicians from doing the right but unpopular things but I fear you are correct, they are just saving their own necks.
worked with her during the Bill 270 (Building Code adoption) controversy and it was amazing how she could read the different codes and fully comprehend them in order to write meaningful amendments.

...after which, the People received a revised building code which was "amended" in favor of the trades and unions, leaving many to continue practicing their "illegal" sustainability.

the County Code does need to be brought into the 21st century

Too much liability exposure for too many, for reasons similar to above.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

worked with her during the Bill 270 (Building Code adoption) controversy and it was amazing how she could read the different codes and fully comprehend them in order to write meaningful amendments.

...after which, the People received a revised building code which was "amended" in favor of the trades and unions, leaving many to continue practicing their "illegal" sustainability.

Ms. Hampton realized that some of the proposed amendments would have addressed that problem. The Council was not interested in coping with those problems and underhandedly called for the vote before many issues could be discussed.

That is why she drafted and filed a complaint with the State Office of Information Practices to try and force the Council to reopen discussions and try to address those other issues. Unfortunately, OIP took 2-1/2 years to act on the complaint which made it mute.

Ms. Hampton worked hard to get the new Building Code to be user friendly but it was the Council that shafted the public.
quote:
Originally posted by kjlpahoa

Sometimes you have to have quantity of words to provide accuracy and quality.

Sometimes however, nothing beats good old fashioned accuracy for its own sake...

"manner" not "manor"
"character trait" not "character treat"
"present and past" not "present and passed"
"wasted too much time" not "wasted to much time"
"which made it moot" not "which made it mute"
Thanks for the editing. But I still got the message out. English is not my forte.
quote:
Is it possible that under CM Zendo Kerns latest BILL 25 a person (your neighbor) who gets a "minor" agricultural tourism permit can sell Round up and other heinous poisonous pesticides and herbicides? The language of the bill states that anyone with a minor agricultural tourism permit can sell...
quote:
Yes and we are even against cigarette smokers smoking at the Community Center and other public places Rob. Like you, Maddie and Tiffany do. Birds of a feather flock together. There is a cancer growing in Puna and it has been growing there for a long time.
quote:
What can I expect from Tiffany who is from Wyoming. That state is 50th in the country for their lack of morals and ethics! And that is what you want to defend snorkle? A Wyoming gal with no Aloha whose father was a bomber pilot. Mr Edward's had to kill a lot of people to get his strips. An tiffany's stood in the sun so long she is blind to everything else but herself. Tiffany is playing silly games because she is a juvenile candidate. No one is using the tactics that her and her team are using.
I apologize for my earlier comments (somewhere) in which I mentioned that I thought RJ and Sativa appeared to have more brains than I originally thought (or words to that effect). I was obviously mistaken.

Edited because I just had to add the last Sativa quote which is such a profoundly ignorant post by Sativa that is just beyond belief.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Council was not interested in coping with those problems

Exactly my point: it matters not who gets elected to Council.